PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Bay shark

MinnowMagnet
10-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Does any one have any tips for catching blue shark off skiffs from the santa cruz wharf? What are the size and bag limit on blue shark?

Bell
10-01-2006, 02:08 PM
I don't know much about fishing blue sharks in Santa Cruz, but just drop a chum bucket in the water and start a drift. Put a live mackeral, or a mckeral fillet in the chum slick and wait for the sharks. Also there is no size or bag limit on them...However they are not considered edible, so don't keep any. The ocean needs them more than you do. I suggest looking into thresher or mako fishing if you want to keep a shark to eat.

janbfishinfolk
10-02-2006, 06:15 AM
It's been many years but we jigged for mackeral and headed for deep water. Put out 3 floating wire fish baskets loaded with carp chuncks. The fartherest basket had a coil of copper wire in the bottom - something about the electro-magnetic field I'm told draws them in. It doesn't take long to be surrounded by blues. One fish came up like lightning and hit the copper tubing basket - ripped the bottom out and took off with a big chunk of carp - all in about 2 seconds - never saw anything move that fast. We floated unweighted chunck of mack just a few feet off the side - jerking it away from smaller sharks. Caught my largerst fish that day a 7 ft 110 lb Blue. Took 20 minutes to land on 25# test with a spinning reel.