PDA

View Full Version : Bodega bay smallboat fishing

campboy
09-10-2012, 04:34 AM
I frequent the bay often and would like to know if there is fish or crab to be had in the harbor or bay without going out into the big water.

brokea--boater
09-11-2012, 08:25 AM
We crab with the rest off the beach out to 120' water from a 14' tin boat. Its a pretty low cost day instead of dragging a big boat 2 1/2 hrs. If you fish read the regs, there's a MLPA zone there.

Fishbutt21
09-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Welcome to the boards.

How small is your boat? outboard or row boat?? Kayak? There is some crabbing inside the bay and fishing for perch and other small fish inside also. But if your boat is large enough to get out past the jetty and around just out from Doran beach there is good crabbing and the chance to catch Halibut,sharks,rays,and even salmon not far from the beach. The main thing is watch the weather and have all of your safety gear in order and have fun

campboy
09-17-2012, 05:54 AM
We crab with the rest off the beach out to 120' water from a 14' tin boat. Its a pretty low cost day instead of dragging a big boat 2 1/2 hrs. If you fish read the regs, there's a MLPA zone there.

Thanks for the help, I was at Porta Bodega this weekend lots of boats on the water.
Hate to sound dumb but Whats a MLPA zone? I have a 17 foot lund so bay water should not be a problem.

bassman408
09-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the help, I was at Porta Bodega this weekend lots of boats on the water.
Hate to sound dumb but Whats a MLPA zone? I have a 17 foot lund so bay water should not be a problem.

Sorry to sound dumb too, but there's this thing called Google. If you google it, there's all kinds of information.

redneckpunk
09-17-2012, 09:08 AM
MLPA= Marine Life Protection actCalifornia Department of Fish & Game, Marine Life Protection Act (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/)

~RNP

brokea--boater
09-17-2012, 09:39 AM
RNP posted a good link with the MLPA info. -20'ers are common inshore boats there. Watch the weather and pick your days and explore the area. The water condition changes fast once you leave the protection of the head.