PDA

View Full Version : Does GPS Work in the Fog?

modawg
09-11-2006, 07:42 AM
I thought I would post this question here and I hope it is appropriate. Does GPS on a fishfinder work in the fog or does the fog block satellite tracking.

sunracer1957
09-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Yep!!

bobby
09-11-2006, 08:01 AM
In the fog... Thats when it works the best! It will get ya where ya need to be, on the fish!

sunracer1957
09-11-2006, 08:04 AM
And back again!!!

SuperDave
09-11-2006, 08:30 AM
I was in whiteout snow storm and following my gps trail line back to the dock was the only way I would have gotten back.

sethonious
09-11-2006, 08:52 AM
GPS sure is fun. Mark hot fishing holes, head out in a total white out, dark of night, or get back if conditions change while you are fishing. Worth every cent.

modawg
09-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your replies guys. I just didn't want to find out the hard way.

My dad had a scary event happen to him recently. He was out at Bodega Bay fishing when when a heavy fog rolled in and he realized he forgot his hand held GPS. Luckily he had a compass but then it started to stick and wouldn't work. He had to use his fish finder to find his way back to land by monitoring the depth. He said it took him an hour to find his way back and there was several times he was headed out to sea. After hearing that storying I am going to make sure I have a VHF radio and GPS on my fishfinder. I guess you can never be to safe. Gadgets are good.

Tight_Lines
09-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Radar would be a very good too! Atleast a reflector

blue_chrush
09-11-2006, 08:28 PM
sure it does, but
that doesn't mean you can go as fast as you want.....

in the fog without radar,
you should go only as fast as you can see to stop
or you can see safely, and that still doesn't mean
the other guy is doing the same.....

get the picture.....
http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/rec/myimages/BoatCrash.JPG * *

Uncle_Sam
09-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Fog is why I bought a gps. I got lost in the fog on Tomales Bay between Hog Island and Nick's Cove boat launch. I went back and forth for about 40 minutes trying to find the boat launch. This June 28 we went out of Bodega on an otherwise clear day. A pocket of fog came over us. The gps showed exactly where we were and where we had come from.

Fish_R_Us
09-12-2006, 05:14 PM
These GPS's are alot easier to work with than those old LORAN radios of the past. Since the availability of these cheap handheld GPS's, we quickly forgot all the 20th century navigational devices.

I remember when we use to triangulate our old sturgeon holes at San Pablo Bay using the Pumphouse, The Sisters and other visable landmarks.

It was all good then...till the fogbank moved in...

blue_chrush
09-12-2006, 07:45 PM
quote......
Fog is why I bought a GPS.

and it will work great in fog and get you where
you want to go.....

its just that in the fog I see guys flying by with
the confidence that I know where I'm going and
I'm going to get there faster now......
but its the other guys without GPS and radar that
you have to watch for, cause a few beers makes
up for allot of caution and common sense......lol

justme
09-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Me and my brother were on the delta fishing one day and the fog lifted so we headed over to franks tract. As soon as we got to fracks the fog settled in real thick again. For 3 hours we tried to find our way back and were just about out of gas when another boat came by with gps and we asked them where the boat launch was. We were right next to it and it took us 2 minutes to get there following him. The next time we went out we had gps and a good thing because the fog was back. No problem find ing our way back. Another time we went out of moss landing on a perfect morning got out and the fog just came in like a wall. Could not see the front of the boat. Gps got us back no problem.

Chief_Sniffer
09-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Took me 45 minutes one time to get out of Sherman Lake into the Sacramento River after launching at the Sherman Island Launch Ramp back in the pre-GPS days. That was a massive pea soup fog.

Rusty_Hooks
09-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Took me 45 minutes one time to get out of Sherman Lake into the Sacramento River after launching at the Sherman Island Launch Ramp back in the pre-GPS days. That was a massive pea soup fog.

That's when you needed Rudolph....it's still there too!! ;)

Fish_R_Us
09-14-2006, 07:46 AM
The Delta is a real good place to get lost. Alot of boat skippers don't pay attention where they are going and pretty soon everything looks the same. There's so many islands and side sloughs that sometimes you think you're going the right way but your actually somewhere else. Add a couple drinks, a day of fun and a near empty gas tank into the equation and it's easy to get confused. Pretty soon you can't re-collect if you went left or right at that main intersection. Also the return trip may look different because you are coming back during evening or night time. Sometimes it helps to glance backwards and get a mental note at the surroundings and thats a plus when you are returning back thru the area. It takes time to become a true River Rat and be able to navigate by gut instincts. We have gotten lost a couple times and one time I had to go tie up and climb up the river bank in order to see around and get our bearings straight. Sometimes you can use a landmark (Mt Diablo) to use as a reference place during your excursions. Best is to get that map and study it beforehand so you can get those mental notes down before you hit the water.

Seamore
09-16-2006, 06:44 AM
This may just be me, or it may be pretty common, but twice i have had my head tell me we needed to go this way and the gps said to go that way. it is very hard for me to trust gps when my head is saying different. my buddy has told me" either trust it with your life, or throw it away.

Fish_R_Us
09-29-2006, 05:16 PM
It's the same with the pilots of aircraft too. The vertigo sets in and the brain keeps second guessing while the eyes see something else. Soon the brain decides to s#*tcan the instruments and go by gut instints. Pretty soon the brain is thinking it's flying level but actually the plane is in a deep unrecoverable dive into the ground.