PDA

View Full Version : Crab Season

bait_stealers
09-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I wanted to know when crab season starts. We are planning to go out from Bodega Bay. I have crabed out there before,but not fished. I wanted to know what I could fish for while I wait for the crabs.Also what type of rigs,and bait should I use. Any info would be awesome thanks.

reellentless
09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Rock Cod as of now will be open thru Dec. but Ling cod will close at the end of Nov. Just use your regular rock cod gear, flys, swimbaits, etc. Good luck and give me a holler when you come over Capt. Bob (Reel-Lentless Sportfishing) Crab season starts Nov 11

sethonious
09-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Depends on which county you want to crab in though... Be careful. From the DFG website:

"Dungeness Crab

The recreational fishery for Dungeness crab (Cancer magister) is closed in Del Norte, Humboldt and Mendocino counties from July 31 through November 24, reopening on November 25, 2006, and from Sonoma county to the Mexico border the fishery is closed from July 1 through November 10, reopening on November 11, 2006. "

I am sure that a lot of us fish in both Sonoma and Mendo, when you are chucking pots Nov 11-25 make sure you are in the right county.

reellentless
09-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Your right about that, but he stated he was launching from Bodega, In my opinion you don't have to run 35 miles up the coast to get your crabs. I do all my crabbing from the river down to Salmon Creek. Good Luck and will see you out there Capt. Bob

Fish_R_Us
09-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Red and Rock Crab seasons are year around. You should get a copy of the current Fishing Regulations and understand them in order to stay on the right side of the DF&G. Sometimes info out here gets mis-interpretated and may prove costly, and out of your pocket book.

Couple montha ago, I spoke to a NPS Park Ranger while crabbing at GGNRA - Ft. Mason. He stated that the fine for (1) Duginess Crab in possession is....$800.00.

Please be forwarned.

bait_stealers
09-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for all the info. We normally go south about a mile or 2 a long the beach. We allways get some crabs. Is that area to shallow? Any ideas of better spots?How far out do I need to go to catch fish? You guys are great. thank you.

sethonious
09-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Right there with you Capt. Bob, I just wanted to be sure that all the info was there.

Bait stealer- we are approcaching my favorite time to fish. Cod and crab combo trips. Get a few shrimp flies, and knock out the schoolies while your pots are soaking. Fillet the fish on the boat (be sure to keep the skins on, F+G need to be able to tell what color the fish was before you cleaned it) and you have heads to put back in your traps for next time. Let them soak with fresh cod in them and tomorrow full pots. Quick run for more crab. Or just keep the cycle going, cod... crab... cod... crab... cod... crab... cod... crab... cod... crab... cod... crab... cod... crab... cod... crab... cod... crab... cod... crab... Oh these are good days ahead my friends. I salivate just thinking about it.

I also hear crab and dab trips are pretty popular, but I don't know a thing about dab fishing. Sorry.