PDA

View Full Version : Bay sharks and chum

smithstation
09-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Ok so all the pics and talk of shark fishing is perking my intrest. I may have to pull the seaswirl out and make the 2 1/2 hour drive to the bay. My question is: how important is chum? Is it legal in the bay?

If it is legal in the bay, I have seen people in San Diego freeze fish scraps and blood in the plastic milk crates and drop them over (tied to the boat) board to make a slick. Is this necessary for the bay? Will it help? If I make the drive I want a good chance as catching some sharks. I wont be going until Nov. at the earliest.

The irrigation season is about to come to an end here in the valley and I was thinking about going out and getting a 100 pounds of carp, crushing them and freezing it. Will this work for chum? *

bobby
09-27-2006, 12:34 PM
how do u get all this carp?

smithstation
09-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I work on a big ranch with a lot of creeks and canals for irrigation. When they shut the watter off, they dry up and they are in the deeper pools. Just walk out there with a net or a pair of rubber boots and go to chucking them on the bank. There are a lot of game fish also. We found some 6-10 pound bass and cats and a few blue gill and crappie last year. We took them to the stock ponda and turned them loose.

I know that carp are real oily and didn't know if they will attract or run the sharks away??

bobby
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
wow, thats cool!

bobby
09-27-2006, 01:20 PM
im not sure either, but these guys here will tell ya forsure! Ill be there saturday!

smithstation
09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Good luck!!

This is a very helpful and informative bunch of guys and gals. Stay safe!!

mike22ca
09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Chumming is totally legal in the bay. I think chumming is probably very effective, especially if you have a chum bucket at the bottom where leopards and sevengills feed at.

smithstation
09-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks Mike 22ca,
What do you think about crushed carp in a gunny sack with a few rocks in it??

Mainly about the carp for chum??

hookncook
09-27-2006, 03:06 PM
last time i chumbed in the bay it was more trouble then it was worth and saw no increase in action.pluse the current makes it hard to keep on the bottom which i was able to do with about 12 lbs of weight

mike22ca
09-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks Mike 22ca,
*What do you think about crushed carp in a gunny sack with a few rocks in it??

Mainly about the carp for chum??

Not sure, I guess just as long as their oily and bloody. The best thing to do, especially right now being the season that it is, is pick up some salmon carcasses and use them.

Know_Excuses
09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey Jason, the thing I heard was to use the same kind of bait that you are chumming with.If you are using midshipmen or squid for bait, but chumming them in with carp, they might be all ready for carp and not find it and maybe pass on the bait offering, or they might not.I havnt tried this with sharks.For stripers I have tried chumming them in with about 3 pounds of frozen ground up sardines with sardine oil, didnt work that good.Another time I cut up a bunch of sardines into little pieces and would trow a few off the end of the boat about every 3-5 minutes.We caught about 6 shakers and about 4 keepers in about 3 hours doing this.It was sunday morning and we had to leave early, otherwise I am sure we would have landed more.Good luck, and I hope you can make the striper fest.

P.S. do you have more rocky mountain oysters?

keciga1
09-27-2006, 05:28 PM
From my past experiences your main concern would be to find them or at least be in the general area. Sometimes chumming can be more work then what it's worth. I would suggest that you try it and see for yourself if it works for you or not or if it's worth the trouble. I agree with K_E about using the same chum as bait. Well good luck and we'll be looking forward to your report in the near future.

motlot77
09-27-2006, 06:11 PM
if you're bothering to use chum, you should chum for some whiteys off the farallons. get yourself an iron cage and check out some monsters!

Striperman
09-28-2006, 12:23 AM

No, he used em all for chum!!! lol you guys are nuts(no pun intended) if you eat those things!!!!!!

striperman

smithstation
09-28-2006, 08:32 AM
P.S. do you have more rocky mountain oysters?[/quote]

K_E No more oysters till this fall. Not sure if we will brand before the fest. I am planning on making it. I will se what I can come up with. We have aboit 1325 bull calves to process so by Dec. or so I will have a new fresh supply!! See ya at the fest!!

smithstation
09-28-2006, 08:34 AM
if you're bothering to use chum, you should chum for some whiteys off the farallons. *get yourself an iron cage and check out some monsters!

Think I'll pass on the whites!! Knowing there are whites out there as big as my boat is not a good feeling!! ;) ;D

smithstation
09-28-2006, 08:35 AM

No, he used em all for chum!!! lol you guys are nuts(no pun intended) if you eat those things!!!!!!

striperman

Dont knock it until you try it. A hot fire, a piece of bailing wire and some pepper, um um good!!

Striperman
09-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Ill take your word on it. Its just knowing what they are that gets me. Could never even put em in my mouth.... Sounds like you have one hell of a supply tho!!!! :o

Striperman

smithstation
09-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Ill take your word on it. Its just knowing what they are that gets me. Could never even put em in my mouth.... Sounds like you have one hell of a supply tho!!!! :o

Striperman
Ya, they are really good. As for the supply, ya, a great year for steers and the market is strong. But the more calves we have the more work for us, less fishing time.... :'(

smithstation
09-28-2006, 10:35 AM
So, does anyone use fresh water fish for shark bait or chum?? :-/

Fishbutt21
09-28-2006, 10:41 AM
So, does anyone use fresh water fish for shark bait or chum?? *:-/

I got a rippin deal on some fresh water Tilapia that will get used for crab bait does that count??

wmgraphics
09-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Go to the Asian food store and pick up a few bags of some spanish macks. I use them for chum in a cheap mesh bag and tie it to my anchor. Sometimes I'll add some fish attractant, like paste or goo. Has worked very well in the past for lings, rocks and such.