Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Berryessa the 7th best bass lake out of the Top 100 in America for 2016.

Haven't been to Berry in a while, I heard they cleaned out the camp sites of the resident riff-raff, not family friendly youngins. Any truth to that?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Berryessa the 7th best bass lake out of the Top 100 in America for 2016.

upps wrong picture off the trout that was from camanche

FISHH 24.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

for all you find fisherman i guess i was wrong al this years buy the way they all come on pink hoochies and corn

4. Dislikes Troutbead, Duckgod51 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All Trout

6. Likes Duckgod51 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don mako View Post
    Last weekend @Berryessa got in to the kokanee. This is for you cap. cam nothing under 15.. We got nine of them but my board only hold 6

There are at least 5 rainbows on that stringer, and the one I can't ID has it's belly to the camera.

8. Likes Duckgod51 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Capt. Cam in all reality Berryessa destroyed a natural steelhead and salmon run in what used to be foothills. Complaining about a fishery that can't survive naturally is useless. Those fish have to be stocked there to keep a surviving population.

10. Dislikes Troutbead, Duckgod51 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don mako View Post
    Last weekend @Berryessa got in to the kokanee. This is for you cap. cam nothing under 15.. We got nine of them but my board only hold 6

Those look more like trout to me , someone please clarify.

12. Likes Troutbead, Duckgod51 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

14. Likes CAL.NDN, Kaban12 liked this post
    Dislikes Duckgod51 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Cam View Post
    LAKE BERRYESSA FISHERIES COLLAPSE.
    My crew and I have been fishing lake Berryessa for 55+ years with a combined of more than 200 years for my crew of 4 now and have seen many changes in this lake with a number of droughts. We have never seen such a collapse of any fishery there in the past like we are seeing and experiencing now with the Kokanee, King and the Trout fisheries. There is obviously something wrong with the management with this lake, of such we have never seen before.
    As for the reduction of Kokanee, King Salmon and Trout plants we feel is a mistake and will only contribute to fewer or no catch rate at all with total collapse of these fisheries.
    Lake Berryessa Fishing Report
    Well we decided to try a change in the weather and see if that would produce any fish at Lake Berryessa, for our first three attempts this spring 2016 did not produce any fish on various different days, so we thought that maybe with a change of weather, we give it a shot on Saturday during the rain, to no avail however. So for four all day trips in very different weather conditions we've been unsuccessful in catching any Salmon or Trout . However we have managed many limits of Bass on our Trout and Salmon gear of all three species of them which we have never experienced before.
    In our 55 plus years of fishing Lake Berryessa in the springtime we have never been skunked multiple days before and normally would come away with if not limits at least a few fish every trip, but no more, it's obvious and painfully apparent, these Fisheries here at Lake Berryessa are in total collapse with very few fish available to catch.
    It is outrageous the mismanagement of this Lake by the Department of Fish and Wildlife to allow the collapse of these Fisheries here at Lake Berryessa when easily prevented.
    In an attempt in to grossly mismanaged the lake as a Trophy Kokanee Lake without any scientific data to show that this would indeed happen is just completely wrong. To use this Lake as a trial-and-error experiment was a gross error of the management of these Trout and Salmon Fisheries. For now instead of a Trophy Kokanee fishery we have a total collapse of all Salmon and Trout fisheries,with an exploding Bass population with total predation of all the very few plants of Trout and Salmon. We get it dude you think the bass ate all the cold water species. It's completely impossible but, why bother with facts and real life. You didn't complain of the management until recently; so when the original 50k fish plants provided both size and numbers of fish the scientific data was wrong then?
    Our Lake Berryessa Kokanee,King Salmon and Trout Fisheries are all in serious trouble and have totally collapsed. This began, I first noticed this in August 2014 and reported such to CDFW that it looks like we are losing these fisheries for some unknown reasons. But my warnings fell on deaf ears. Well in spring of 2015 it was confirmed and is officially duly noted by CDFW Bio Kasie Barnes that indeed these fisheries have collapsed. Their crew recently went to investigate this fishery collapse and after a days fishing for Kokanee as well as running there underwater video camera all day did not catch any nor did they see any. But did discover that there is an over abundance of zooplankton ( Fish Food) in the water, which would provide food enough for 100s of thousands of Kokanee, King Salmon, and Trout. As you often post/ask please post a link where I may find this information for myself?
    The mismanaging of this lake by CDFW as a "Trophy Kokanee lake" ( which means to plant fewer fish so there is less competition for food allowing this fish to grow to a larger size.) has even created a much worse problem for these fisheries. The chances are that with the very few plants of Kokanee and King salmon and Trout into the lake this year we will not have any fishery this year at all or for the next 2 to 3 years for the fishery has now collapsed. We will not have a fishery for 2 to 3 years unless they plant at least 100K Kokanee and 100K Kings and 100K Trout. The small amount of plants that were planted in 2015 (25K Kokanee and 34K Kings) is just feeding the huge Bass fishery in this lake and the predation will kill them all with only these few planted leaving nothing to grow to a catchable size in 1-2 years. With this very high predation rate you will need to plant 4 to 5 times this amount to be sure some survive this onslaught and provide us a fishery. Anything less will not provide us a fishery. However the Bass fishery is off the hook, which should indicate that the lake is healthy. If the Bass are able to thrive, so should the Salmon and Trout fisheries.
    The Trout fishery is in as bad of a condition or worse than the Kokanee are. Without any plants so far this year this Trout fishery is completely non-existent. Again with the high predation with the Bass you must plant 4 to 5 times the amount you want to survive to provide a fishery. Keep telling yourself whatever you want but you are wrong and you know it. Your problem appears you have been going along with your little charade and have been proven wrong over and over and clearly don't want egg on your face. I'll humor you one last time though. If most if not all the kokanee/kings are dead in the lake how exactly is planting more going to solve anything? Wouldn't logic tell you that if 50k died wouldn't 100k die too? Oh yeah that's right it doesn't play into your theory; my bad. BASS PREDATION CANNOT IN ANY CIRUMSTANCE WIPE OUT AN ENTIRE POPULATION OF KOKANEE. If your theory were true there would be no kokanee in any lake that had bass in it. Bullards has lots of bass, so does pardee, wait melones does too, how about one more for the road whiskeytown; just to name a few though... Oh wait, pretty much every lake that has kok's in it has bass too! Yes, Berry has been managed with 50k kokanee plants since the programs inception, I seem to be able to read the data, why can't you?
    Our many millions of children here in the Bay Area and with the largest fisherman population demographics ( The Many) here in Northern California and the only lake with Kokanee and King Salmon would like to have a chance at catching a Kokanee,King Salmon and Trout here at Lake Berryessa which is the only lake that is the closest within a reasonable drive from the Bay Area with planted Kokanee and King Salmon as well as Trout. The next closest lake is additional 2 to 4 hours drive away that has Kokanee and King Salmon planted in them. This is why Lake Berryessa needs to be made #1 priority by CDFW over the other Salmon planted lakes. So what you are saying is the people of the bay area are more important than those that live elsewhere? So if you have a shortage of these fishery plants they need to plant Berryessa to Maximum Capacity first before you plant any other lake. That would be at the bare minimum of 100K Kokanee and 100K King Salmon and 100K Trout See above, they'll still be just as dead as easily as the 50k they've planted previously. BTW where did you come up with the scientific data to support 100k of each species, why not 200k or 300k? Please provide a link to this so I can find this information out too!, then you can plant what is left in other lakes certainly not the other way around which is what is currently taking place, by this mismanagement by CDFW. It also needs to have the highest amount of Salmon and Trout available as well to provide a easily successful fishery for our children and all of the Bay Area. Where children and all can have a enjoyable fishing experience to ensure fishing in this state will continue. Let's not deprive our children of this. For without children being able to catch any fish, this very healthy outdoor activity will cease to exist here. We feel that the (Few) need to sacrifice a little bit and help provide a better fishery here at Lake Berryessa for our children to preserve this sport. What do you say Few. Wait Berryessa is the only place kids can fish in that vicinity? Wait I thought there was a giant body of water just to the west of the bay area that is FULL of fish and never has low water levels; well twice a day it does.
    Lake Berryessa had the best Kokanee Fishery in the state of Ca. It had the largest Kokanee to 18" with the largest population of them that were plentiful and easily caught by all. The reasons are many why Berry has had such a plentiful Kokanee population and size. The most important is its size and location that produces the largest amount of zooplankton (Fish Food) than any other lake in Ca. We had this very good Kokanee and King Salmon fishery for about 20 years until CIFFI and CDFW decide they would like to risk it all roll the dice and gamble with our very good fishery here and manage the lake as a Trophy Kokanee lake. That means to limit the amount of plants Kokanee,King Salmon and Trout so there is less competition for food letting the much fewer fish grow to a bigger size. The only problem is it sounds good but in reality is not. Nor was there any science evidence that this would indeed happen. So they proceed in doing this and have created this total collapse of our Kokanee, King Salmon and Trout Fisheries. Wait Berryessa had the biggest and most; debatable. What about Indian Valley but I guess that lakes demise is DFW's fault too. FYI that lake had a HUGE bass population before it's went the dry... You don't happen to see a similar circumstance between the two? Low water levels and what happened to the cold water fisheries? The bass ate them that's right!
    So I got to ask WHY in God's earth would anyone risk the best inland Salmon fishery in the state! You will have to ask( the few) Ciffi, CDFW heads for that answer. Don't they know you can't play with Mother Nature and usually if you try she bites you in your a** . Why experiment with this lake with the already best fishery in the state. Do your trial and error experiments on some other lake that does not have such a good fishery. Then and only then with scientific proof that this works do you try it elsewhere.
    We all would like to catch big plentiful fish, but most all (The Many) were very satisfied with our fishery here at Berry, up and until the collapse that is with the large and plentiful fish that were easily caught here at Berry.
    CDFW explanation for this collapse does not hold any water. Kyle Murphy of CDFW reports the collapse is not caused from managing the lake as a Kokanee Trophy lake but due to the drought and low water conditions that has caused a low dissolved oxygen levels in the water that has caused the Salmon to die and Trout to die due to lack of DO available to support them. So if that were the case there would not be other fisheries such as the Bass fishery thriving there along with many other bait fisheries and other fisheries. We would have also seen large fish die off with many dead fish floating all over the lake. Of which there has been none or any reports of any. As well all lakes here in N. Cal with Salmon planted in them have been affected with low water conditions with low DO with this drought but without any collapse of these fisheries and are for the most part thriving with large healthy population of all there fisheries, just not Berryessa. So this low DO explanation is not the cause of these collapsed fisheries but the very poor management of these fisheries with this lake. As well there have been many droughts with even lower water condition than this current drought at Berryessa without any loss of any fisheries here in the past, like in the early 90s the water levels were much lower, almost twice lower.
    Berryessa needs 100K plants of all 3 species Kokanee, King Salmon and Trout to have any chance at overcoming the Bass predation of these fisheries and their collapse. Idaho has a large excess 100s thousands of Kokanee eggs that are being offered to Ca. that we sure need here at Berry let's get our hands on those. CDFW last year planted 80K into Bullards Bar that already has a large Kokanee population with stunted grow as reported with a natural spawning of them as well. While Berryessa has the greatest need for large plants not much smaller plants as was done last year and again this year. You have proof of a sustainable self supporting population at Bullards? Please post a link so I can find this out for myself. You do understand that kokanee, trout and, salmon are delicate species compare to warm water species right? You do understand that they need cleaner water than most warm water species right? You do understand that different fish species can tolerate different dissolved oxygen levels right (don't believe me check out carp and catfish some time)? You do understand that putah creek is generally not as cold as those lakes that receive runoff from the sierra's right? You do realize that kokanee are NOT native to California and getting eggs from other states of a non-native species is a pain in the rear, right?

Attachment 28815
    Berryessa will come back with higher more stable water levels; regardless of and despite your protests. 50k kokanee worked very well for a long time at the lake and will again if we get a couple more years of good water. End of story!

16. Dislikes Duckgod51 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I have heard enough. I have been very willing to let you have your soap box and beat your drum on this forum as I do with everyone. Unfortunately, you have blatantly abused the limelight. If you want to post a report about fishing, feel free. The next statement about the mismanagement of a fishery, playing with nature, or any reference to a NP501, its over. You and all of your posts will be removed from this site.

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast