Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scent on Lures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scent on Lures

well hell,, if I`m reading that some think it works and Others don`t ,then maybe go fish for catfish on a Lure . you will have a batter chance at getting cats to bite at stink than a trout will unless its sugar bases scent and they love sugar . recall the Old Corn thing on a hook and Velveeta cheese , both had a touch of sweetness in it so maybe Scent does work . didi we forget on how Garlic catches fish especially Trout and we all know about having garlic breath after eating it.
    its not just for Vampires ya Know!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Scent on Lures

Ahhhh WD another Dawn admirer it figures. I use discard type plastic containers. Some lures are tougher than others to clean and an old toothbrush with vibration works best, they are not too expensive at Walmart. As far as scent, I have found they more or less have a smell/taste mixed together and their lateral lines are the vibration pick up. For me more shine always attracts, the more flash the more cash, but it is worth it......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

4. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish find and identify food several different ways. They include sight, movement, vibration/water disturbance, smell. Fish actually have very good sence of smell. When bait fishing fish find and are attracted to the bait almost entirely by smell. Think of fishing for trout with powerbait or striper fishing with a chunk of sardine, or catfishing with stink bait, in every case it’s scent or smell that attracts the fish. So does scent attract fish? Of course it does.
    How much does scent on lures make a difference as far as catching or not catching? No one knows. But it is reasonable to accept that you will attract and catch more fish with lures that are scented than aren’t because we know that scent/smell is one of the things that attracts fish.
    I figure that scent can only increase the odds of catching. Like finding the right lure though you also have to find the right scent that the fish are interested in that day. So when fish aren’t biting I change lures, colors and scents til I find the right combination.
    So yes scent works we just don’t know if it makes a big difference, a little difference or perhaps on some days no difference.
    One last thing, scent leaves a residue on lures and over time it will become rancid. Once rancid it will more than likely repell fish rather than attract them. I find that the best way to wash away the residue is with Dawn unscented dish soap and water. When I get home from fishing I drop the lures I used in a small bucket with a little water and Dawn and leave them there overnight. Thoroughly clean and rinse them off the next day and you are good to go.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    I bought some of that bait wax. I Think It might help with wash off.I really like Pro Cure on bait.
    J m. 00.02
    Soak in dawn soap, it works wonders......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I use scent dispensers that are clear and easily opened to pour in more, it kind of keeps most of the gunk off the lure but dispenses a wider scent pattern as you troll. I also have a couple of 10 lb Dr weights that are shark shaped with drilled out centers and a wick to put the liquid into the water, the nose has a brass nut to let you pour more in. There are a variety of dispensers out there to use, and use scent that works for the species you are targeting......Jetspray

8. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought some of that bait wax. I Think It might help with wash off.I really like Pro Cure on bait.
    J m. 00.02
    You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a pro-cure fanboy, love that stuff!

12. Likes Jetspray, dilbeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it doesn't deter them. That's all I need to know. I always glob a little on the hook especially to get them to commit.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do whatever gives you confidence. If you are confident, you will pay more attention, and you will fish longer. Thus, you are more likely to succeed.

But does scenting a lure actually increase the number of strikes, all else being equal? Who knows? No one has any hard evidence, just the superstitious, anecdotal type of "proof" that fishermen live and die by, mixed in with a lot of sketchy marketing claims by assorted retailers.

I will say this: I seriously doubt that scenting a lure does any harm....other than the cost of what you spent on the scent product.

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try having a Lure . make it own scent without putting it on
    Good Luck and yes It Helps .can`t hurt . Granted most trout eat out of sight than smell but It can`t hurt
    Make sure it is water based, after a while it will stick and then its not the smell you want or what The fish even want to come close too.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

18. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast