Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Closing the East Carson 11/15/19

Glad you got out there. It can be difficult to fish. The water is cold and the fish are sluggish. Best bet for spin fishing is a 1/4 oz Panther Martin with barbs pinched down. Black with yellow spots.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first time we fly fished the East Carson was in November several years ago. My wife and I caught many just drifting dry flies. Yeah, seemed like a good idea at the time and we were wading the river with patches of snow here and there and both the 'bows and the browns were rising to our flies. Largest may have went about 14".

4. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning,

Thought I’d follow up. I fished the East Carson this week, just drove up for the day. Took 88 up.

Silver lake is about 75% frozen over, Caples about 85%, Red lake is all frozen over, so I’m assuming blue lakes are as well. Caples is probably frozen over now after this last week of storms too. Oh Lower Bear Res was also starting to glaze over when I stopped to look down in the canyon too. There’s a thin sheet of ice on it.

Tried fishing the stretch of the East Carson with no luck and no bites. Not really sure how to fish it, im still learning how to fish streams. Tried nymphs and Thomas buoyants for the most part. Even though I didn’t catch anything, it was still great to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Paintguy, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Saw the roads are open on 88 today and no chains, anyone know if the road around Hangman’s Bridge is open? Was gonna try to fish down that way, but unsure of conditions. I’d like to get some lines in somewhere!
    Road should be open. The bridge is only 2 miles from Markleeville.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the roads are open on 88 today and no chains, anyone know if the road around Hangman’s Bridge is open? Was gonna try to fish down that way, but unsure of conditions. I’d like to get some lines in somewhere!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's this bridge on HWY 20 if you don't mind me asking? It along the Marysville/Nevada City route of 20? Maybe I'll go up there, shorter drive for me and it would only be rain (although my friends in Nevada City say they're getting snow today).

Never fished for Steelhead before, I know I'd need a card for them, but same manner of fly and spin fishing as you would for browns and bows?
    Yes, east of Marysville. Check it out on google maps. Just checked the regs and fishing is closed from the Hwy 20 bridge upstream to the Englebright Dam. Open year round with artificial / barbless from the bridge downstream to the mouth at the Feather. Always read the regs for yourself though. I'm only full of crap half the time, but that's more than enough.

Fly guys get very specific on hatches and patterns. Any luck I've ever had was trying to imitate a loose salmon egg. Glow-bug / pegged bead side-drifted or under a float is what I'd try. Might also try a pink worm, but make sure it's not scented or you'll be breaking the rules. I'm also partial to swinging spinners as the fish don't see as many of them, but be sure to swap out to a single barbless hook.

Good luck.

11. Likes Jetspray, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Lots of places to access the American. I'd probably go into Fisherman's Warehouse to get a specific recommendation.

The Yuba has access from Highway 20 which crosses it. Lots of water downstream of the bridge. Some steelhead and resident rainbows. Single barbless regulations apply (on a lot of the American too for that matter). Several fly-guides post reports on the Yuba. Should be able to find some info in a short search.

Feather River in the Oroville Recreation Area is similar.

Good luck.
    Where's this bridge on HWY 20 if you don't mind me asking? It along the Marysville/Nevada City route of 20? Maybe I'll go up there, shorter drive for me and it would only be rain (although my friends in Nevada City say they're getting snow today).

Never fished for Steelhead before, I know I'd need a card for them, but same manner of fly and spin fishing as you would for browns and bows?

Post Thanks / Like

Are there decent stream areas up on the Yuba or American that you would recommend? I know those are definitely lower elevation so I'd just hit rain this week and not snow. Thanks for the help

Lots of places to access the American. I'd probably go into Fisherman's Warehouse to get a specific recommendation.

The Yuba has access from Highway 20 which crosses it. Lots of water downstream of the bridge. Some steelhead and resident rainbows. Single barbless regulations apply (on a lot of the American too for that matter). Several fly-guides post reports on the Yuba. Should be able to find some info in a short search.

Feather River in the Oroville Recreation Area is similar.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Never know what the weather will ultimately be, but Hwy 88 is nothing to mess with in the snow. They plow it, but not as quick as they do 80 and 50. It’s also prone to big dumps.

I would think of steelhead in the American, Yuba, Feather and even Sacramento if I had to scratch the itch for a river trout in the next month or two. Maybe farther, but beats frost bite and chains.

Just food for thought.
    Are there decent stream areas up on the Yuba or American that you would recommend? I know those are definitely lower elevation so I'd just hit rain this week and not snow. Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Never know what the weather will ultimately be, but Hwy 88 is nothing to mess with in the snow. They plow it, but not as quick as they do 80 and 50. It’s also prone to big dumps.

I would think of steelhead in the American, Yuba, Feather and even Sacramento if I had to scratch the itch for a river trout in the next month or two. Maybe farther, but beats frost bite and chains.

Just food for thought.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 11-25-2019 at 08:30 AM.

16. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast