Post Thanks / Like

Re: flying for shad....what line?

Good info guys thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Kiene's Fly Shop in Sac set me up last week. Dacron backing, Ridge Pollyfuse XT shooting line, and Type I, III, VI sinking heads, for varying water conditions. (Heads are a combination of RIO & Scientific Angler based on best price).

Post Thanks / Like

If you are new to this stuff it can get a bit murky when talking about different lines, Vikkor says he uses a Type 3 line. Probably means he fishes shallower runs or slower water giving his line time to sink. The Type series are also sink tips Type 3,4,5,6, whatever numbers they make them in getting heavier and with faster sink rates as you go up in number. Type 3 ... sinks 3 inches per second ... 6 ... 6 inches per second and so on. They come in I think 12 or 15 ft lengths are tapered I believe and you buy them matched to the wt. rod you use.

The Rio T series are just level (no taper) tungsten tips and sink about the same rate as the Type tips T- 8 ... 8 inches per second and so on. They are made to cut to whatever length works best for your rod and conditions since they are straight from butt to tip.

I can't really say which sink tip is best but I believe the T series are less expensive and come in 30ft lengths, lets say you needed a 12 ft tip it would leave you with another 18ft after cutting it, put a loop on one end and you have two tips. Fly shop is best way to go in getting you set up, they not only can help sort thru the different options but have local knowledge of where you will be fishing and the right set up. Bring your rod and reels, they will not only fill your reels but also make the loop to loop connections for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the AR for shad from the bank and my general set up is using 25# Amnesia running line (5$) with a type 3 sinking shooting head (30$). Bring your flyreel to any flyshop and tell them what weight rod you will be using (I prefer using a 7 wt. rod). They should put the lines on your reel if you ask. Try to get set up before the shad arrive because most local shops will be out of stock of the type3's. The shad can't come soon enough! Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Sinking. I use a integrated sink tip I have cut to the length that works for where I normally fish but I also use a shooting head if fishing other areas. For someone starting I would suggest you go with a shooting head set up with interchangeable Rio sink tips. Least expensive way to fish different depths without changing out a whole fly line.

Consists of a running line, can use just a 40 lb mono or I use slick shooter running line (doesn't have the memory for coiling mono has) then you buy different weight tips for different depth water. Rio sink tips come in different weights and you can cut them to the length that works best for your conditions. The tips interchange to your running line with a loop to loop connection so it makes changing to different tips simple and you can carry several different ones with you.

Found this short video explaining what the Rio Tungsten tips are.
    Rio Tungsten Shooting Heads - YouTube

Most areas I have fished on the American using 6wt. a T-8 tip would work fishing the shallower areas, if fish are holding in deeper runs you go to a heavier tip T-11, T-14

Post Thanks / Like

flying for shad....what line?

Me, Matt(Banker916) and Jeremy (JFitalia) all wanna sling the sissy stick for shad this year. What line should we get? Sinking? Floating?
    I saw a fish once...