Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: why I hate bait shops

I keep missing all these lavish bait stores. All I see are small niche stores trying to scrape by with the money they have coming in. Sure wish these stores would extend there market to internet so the owners could buy some 80k boats and charge less than retail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoneSomewhereElse View Post
    MSRP is manufacturers suggested retail price. I think what you're referring to is MAP, minimum allowable price

Minnkota and Lowrance enforce MAP. Bait shops price their products based on cost of goods sold. That cost includes the wholesale price of the product + overhead + a reasonable and competitive profit. If bait is the primary product sold then prices will naturally be higher at bait shops just to cover the overhead.

Owning a bait shop isn't going to make you rich.

Sent by a Line Stretcher
    I never looked at it that way. I suppose supermarkets have more products to make a profit on. I will take that into consideration next time I buy bait.

Post Thanks / Like

MSRP is manufacturers suggested retail price. I think what you're referring to is MAP, minimum allowable price

Minnkota and Lowrance enforce MAP. Bait shops price their products based on cost of goods sold. That cost includes the wholesale price of the product + overhead + a reasonable and competitive profit. If bait is the primary product sold then prices will naturally be higher at bait shops just to cover the overhead.

Owning a bait shop isn't going to make you rich.

Sent by a Line Stretcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elsancho View Post
    MSRP is a suggested retail-price it doesn't mean u have to sell it at that price, some sell for more some for less. Sac pro tackle gets their sardines from the same place that packages them and sells them frozen. Initially sac pro sells them fresh them freezes them to sell later. I'm all for supporting bait shops however I've bought packaged sardines and squid for almost a third of the price at an asian supermarket.
    2 things

The MSRP is sometimes a required price depending on the company. For instance NIKE and APPLE. Those companies have their MSRP. however stores must sell those items at that price. It's the same for all stores across the board.

Sac pro does does not get their sardines from the company that packages them. he actually drives all the way to moss landing and buys them right off the bait boat. From there he keeps some thawed and sells fresh. The rest he freezes. Believe it or not many people prefer them frozen, which is why he freezes some. At times he had to buy from a company. However that is only when we had a sardine shortage and the boats couldn't find them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    That's how running a business works. Unless you have an MSRP those stores can sell it for what they choose. If people are willing to pay for it. Then stores should keep the high price.

Sac pro tackle probably sells the freshest bait in town
    MSRP is a suggested retail-price it doesn't mean u have to sell it at that price, some sell for more some for less. Sac pro tackle gets their sardines from the same place that packages them and sells them frozen. Initially sac pro sells them fresh them freezes them to sell later. I'm all for supporting bait shops however I've bought packaged sardines and squid for almost a third of the price at an asian supermarket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeNorthwest View Post
    How do you think i feel, im most likely the one that supplies some of the shops down there for lamprey and fresh frozen king salmon eggs, i sell it to them foe a cheap price then i find out the there charging a very high price for it. I sell my bait products to shops for a cheap price so they can sell it to the customer for a cheap price. Im the one doing all the work and making a little profit from it. Its the bait shops that are making the high dollar with not work put in it. If any of you want lamprey or fresh frozen lamprey look me up.
    That's how running a business works. Unless you have an MSRP those stores can sell it for what they choose. If people are willing to pay for it. Then stores should keep the high price.

Sac pro tackle probably sells the freshest bait in town

Post Thanks / Like

As for Freeport what do expect when 3 out 4 bait shops are owned by the same person...
    Graybeard48

Post Thanks / Like

How do you think i feel, im most likely the one that supplies some of the shops down there for lamprey and fresh frozen king salmon eggs, i sell it to them foe a cheap price then i find out the there charging a very high price for it. I sell my bait products to shops for a cheap price so they can sell it to the customer for a cheap price. Im the one doing all the work and making a little profit from it. Its the bait shops that are making the high dollar with not work put in it. If any of you want lamprey or fresh frozen lamprey look me up.

Quote Originally Posted by seeinred View Post
    For years there has been an issue with finding quality bait in Sacramento. Fresh bait is hard to come by and when its available its under quality and over priced. Most shops in the Freeport area are like used car sellsmen. They say whats hot, which is usually the most expensive. Example: sturgeon are here and you want eel or pile worms. Over $8 a dozen and when you get them theyre dried up and half dead. Eel seems to be in a shortage? Happy hooker used to sell them for quite cheap and now the "small" eel is $15?

I know the economy and blah blah blah. But when a baitshop wants $6-$7 for a flying c and walmart has them for $3 where are you going to go. They work on upsell. I ask for info, where the hotspots are and who is catching fish. Reply "outback you want wanna buy what theyre gettin caught on?"...no no I dont.

Ill put in work. Catch lamprey myself and vacuum pack it. Catch some salmon and get the roe myself. I know this argument may make some shake their heads. But I grew up fishing with my g pa and you got what you paid for. If im paying top price for bait then I want quality. I'll use homemade spinners and catch my own bait. Call it pride or what you will. But I refuse to support local baitshops until they learn to treat the people that keep them in business right. Im speaking of the shops in FREEPORT only. Ive been to others in isleton, rio vista, and the bay. Good people there. The shops in sac could learn a thing or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seeinred View Post
    Its also the attitude of the owners. They have a clientele that they cater too. If your not a usual customer....good luck.
    I have seen this attitude even at coastal bait shop/marinas here and there. So frustrating when you call ahead of time and ask if a particular bait is in stock, because you have to drive a long distance, they say yes, then you arrive and are told, "Nope, sorry, all out!"

Then you browse around in the shop, and hear this conversation when some guy walks in: Person at counter: "Hey [insert name here], how's it going?"

Guy: "Can't complain, got any [insert name of bait you called about here]?"

Person at counter: "Sure, I can set you up!"

So frustrating!
    You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean when you say the bait shop pays for the Intimidator Sportfishing Boat and company?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast