Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner Seeking Advice on Backcountry Fishing

Wow, you guys rock. This is much more advice than I would have expected. Love the idea of the pvc pipe for a case. I figure something like that will easily attach to the side of my pack utilizing a few compression straps. I'm sure I would enjoy fishing in these locations, and eating fresh fish on the trail seems like it would be heavenly. In the back of my mind, I was also thinking of this as survival gear in case I ever got lost. Between the fishing gear and my backpacking gear, I could probably survive indefinitely in the wilderness. Of course, I would prefer to never test this theory. Making up a list now, but it will take me some time to research all of this. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, the fish you will find more than any other in alpine lakes tend to be brookies. Brookies LOVE nightcrawlers, (some here do well with wooly buggers and Bouyants, etc as posted above). The best way to carry crawlers with you while backpacking will be to transfer them from the crappy store container into a nice plastic locking container. They are usually sold as "wader belt bait boxes" at walmart and such. Keep it wrapped in clothing in the middle of your pack to keep them cool while hiking.

I will preface my gear recommendation by telling you that I am a cheap *******. I look for cheap, useful stuff that lasts.

My favorite hiking setup is a Shakespeare collapsible ultralight rod and reel combo. The rod collapses down to about 8 inches in length, and mine has given me YEARS of faithful service. The rod only extends to 4.5 feet, but this hasn't been a problem for me. Should be about $30 through Amazon.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

And please post lots of pics. We like pics here :D

Post Thanks / Like

Watch a video on how to clean a trout (simple) takes maybe 3mins.Put it in some foil, add spices, and Wrap in heavy duty foil, toss on coals.

Years ago we hiked in to Bull Lake east of Tryon Peak and northeast of Highland Lakes. If you hike the Sierra's you may have been to this beautiful lake. We camped at the campsite (only two on the lake) on the southeast part of the lake where there was a small feeder stream. Two of us did not catch a single fish. The other person sat all day fishing this small feeder stream at the mouth using worms and caught several Lahontan cuthroats. This is the way we prepared the fish.

To add what Marv stated on cooking fish, pack a small container of olive oil. Pack salt, pepper, onion and garlic in a zip lock. After cleaning, coat the fish with olive oil and stuff the fish cavity with a few cloves of garlic, chopped and chunks of onion (if you like garlic and onions). Double wrap fish in foil creasing both ends and drop in the hot coals on your campfire. Cook 5 to 7 minutes on each side and remove with sticks. They will not burn if taken out in time and the olive oil prevents sticking. Delicious!
    oldgeezer71

Post Thanks / Like

Just occurred to me after posting PLIERS bring fishing pliers or just long needle nose. Also might want to check out the sticky thread on proper catch a release. If your releasing them might as well do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of really good suggestions already. I just got back from a 3 day in Desolation so my gear was already out. Perfect timing. I use a 2 piece Ugly Stick and an ultra light reel. Nothing special on either just functional. I carry two small Plano boxes with tackle. One has all my lures most were already listed, Rooster Tails, Panther Martins, Kastmasters and a few others. The other has swivels a water bobber or two plus hooks and split shots. I carry my rod inside that PVC pipe. Its really nice since you don't worry about damaging the rod. I also have mine wrapped with a little duct tape for any needed gear repairs. I just bought a section of 2 inch pipe and cut to length. Its a super cheap insurance policy especially if you happen to have a nice rod.

I never backpack without 2 luxury's one is a good book (usually Bill Bryson) and the other is my fishing gear. I view Jelly Belly's and Jack Daniels as a need not a luxury. As far as cooking, I'm really not a fan of trout so I don't cook it often. As some have suggested foil wrapped is the easiest and my wife likes when I use Lipton Onion Soup Mix in the body cavity. I have on occasion brought fish home in early spring. I will pack them on snow and store them in my bear vault if caught on the last day.

I hope you enjoy backcountry fishing as much as I do. I only caught 2 this weekend but it's a nice way to pass the time when your in beautiful country. Soon you'll be like the rest of us and plan backpacking around fishing. Good Luck
    fishing setup 002.jpg
    Last edited by toomanyhobbies; 07-28-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take a 4 or 5 piece fly rod. A 9-5 or even 9-4 would be good for almost anything you'll come across. I happen to have a Sage 4 piece 9-6 that's always with me. You don't need to spend that kind of Money unless you want to.

Have a look at the TFO fly rods. They're reasonably priced and a decent enough reel won't cost you that much either.

I've got an aluminum tube case for mine that's waterproof and if the top is on, it floats. I think this is a mandatory item for backpacking. In a 4 piece the tube is short and easily strapped to the frame of a back pack. Packed safely in the tube you never have to worry about breaking it along the trail.

There's just a handful of basic fly's that work just about anywhere so your tackle weight is nothing. Just some fly's a few tippets or leaders and you're ready to go.

So can you use a panther martin on a fly rod? Of course along with just about any other light lure. Flashers are a challenge but I've done it on lakes. I've also thrown poppers at bass and done pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Consider the G Loomis trout series rods and a Shimano stradic or sustain reel in the 1000 size. The TSR rods are something special. They should serve you very well. As for lures/bait, consider a box of popular flies and a clear float, kastmasters, jigs, salmon eggs (these dry out fast), and powerbait.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gonna also put out there that Fenwick is a great option for rods. That's what I use for a lot of my setups. They are great rods and hold up well. I have a few G Loomis that I use for bass but they are pricey. I've always got Salmon eggs and gold/red spinning meps with me when fishing the streams. Always have produced good fish (planters of course). Good luck out there!

-Xzi

Post Thanks / Like

I would add 1/4 oz Thomas Bouyants in gold and silver. Great for streams, rivers and lakes. As the friend of Marv with the Fenwick River Runner, it is an awesome rod and my favorite now for a while. You might consider a 3- or 4-piece travel rod for backpacking, however, as a regular 2-piece rod like the River Runner will stick up quite a bit past the top of your pack. Not so good when dealing with low-hanging branches or bushwhacking.

Post Thanks / Like

This is great. Thanks a lot for the responses you guys. Now I have a basis to start from. I hadn't thought too much about price, not because money is no object, but because I've never priced fishing gear before. In general, I tend to buy reliable, good quality stuff as opposed to top-of-the-line gear. So, I guess high mid-range, if that makes sense. Now, I'm off to google some of the suggested gear. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Brenn; 07-28-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast