Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your go to "cheap" mono?

Believe it or not omniflex by zebco is pretty damn good. I used the 8,10 and 12# before. Used 10# for leader material steelie fishing this year with no issues, Landed a 15# one on it. I also use it on my kids bass rods and it holds up really good. They even make a braided line.

Trilene is my go to line for sure. Just landed two 19# salmon on 15# big game leader and my PB 28# fish came on 15# big game years ago

Fish on!
    Last edited by 49erbassman; 08-26-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    Always wishin I was fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: What is your go to "cheap" mono?

To me I think it like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the gas mileage. I do not have a go to mono, I use most of it for leaders. Some swear by it and some swear at it, I am one of the latter. When fishing from shore and casting I like something that has "0" memory and does not foul up the eyes on the way our or turn into a curly screw fisherman's friend bird's nest. Fishing is not a cheap sport, the cheaper you go the more likely you will say goodbye to what your trying to bring in.........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your go to "cheap" mono?

all my light weight trout line is whatever I can find on sale in the size and quantity I need at the time. However, my heavier river gear is all either P-line or Cajun

~RNP

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught several trout over 3lbs. on Flouroclear 2lb. test. So I'm sure the big stuff is just as strong. Berkeley Xl (red box) is perfectly fine too.

Cheaper priced lines that work fine.

Berkeley XL (red box)

Berkeley big game

Stren magnathin

Pline

Spider wire

Bass pro brand

Basicly all of it works, just buy a brand you have heard of. If your buying a couple different sizes for different reels try a couple of the cheaper brands to see what you like.
    A bad fisherman will leave trash and take fish.
    A good fisherman will leave fish and take trash.

tboyd

+1 for flouroclear. Tough as hell, caught several 20 plus pounders last year on the 14 lb p line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seeinred View Post
    I bet you only hear complaints when no one is catching fish....

That is a testament, if you can run that line with many different skill levels in the boat and have no issues with it.

That izorline is darn cheap and if works then its worth a shot.
    Give it a shot, it's surprisingly abrasion resistant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sgs1 View Post
    I used to go for nothing but the best but to tell you the truth, there isn't one heck of a lot of difference. The differences can be found in magazines and in manufacturers claims but the reality is that only a very few very picky fishermen will ever be able to tell.

I now run Trilene or Izorline and I don't change it unless I notice a problem. So far I haven't but I keep extra fresh reels onboard just in case.

Most of my fishing is for some trout species and I put 12lb on every reel to ensure that no matter how much of a hurry I get in, I'll still have decent knot strength.

This past week I had 12 different people using my gear and not once did someone say "this must be cheap line" or "This lines too heavy". They just kept hauling fish in and smiling.

The bottom line for me is that I'm keeping money in my pocket and still catching the same amount of fish.
    I bet you only hear complaints when no one is catching fish....

That is a testament, if you can run that line with many different skill levels in the boat and have no issues with it.

That izorline is darn cheap and if works then its worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite go to cheap line is Flouroclear. It fishes well, has low visibility, and is a poor mans substitute for fluorocarbon. Another line that I really like for side drifting or bass fishing is McCoy "Mean Green." It casts very well, is strong as hell, and very limp with low memory. These manufacturer's should hire me as their PR Rep. Plug Bite

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Bezerkeley Big Game.

Post Thanks / Like

BIGGAME!

Available at Walmart.... Cheap...and works great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast