Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your go to "cheap" mono?

With $ getting tight in the redhouse I'm having to pinch where I've never had to pinch before...including my tackle box.

I'm looking at getting some mono and wanna know what the frugal folks are using. Maxima and p line are my typical picks but I'm looking into some alternatives. I've used ANDE in the past but its hard to find.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your go to "cheap" mono?

Izorline Platinum. You can get it pretty cheap at Sport chalet or Big 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Pline is all I use. The cxx is great.

and the flouroclear is spooled on almost all of my reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I used to go for nothing but the best but to tell you the truth, there isn't one heck of a lot of difference. The differences can be found in magazines and in manufacturers claims but the reality is that only a very few very picky fishermen will ever be able to tell.

I now run Trilene or Izorline and I don't change it unless I notice a problem. So far I haven't but I keep extra fresh reels onboard just in case.

Most of my fishing is for some trout species and I put 12lb on every reel to ensure that no matter how much of a hurry I get in, I'll still have decent knot strength.

This past week I had 12 different people using my gear and not once did someone say "this must be cheap line" or "This lines too heavy". They just kept hauling fish in and smiling.

The bottom line for me is that I'm keeping money in my pocket and still catching the same amount of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sgs1 View Post
    I used to go for nothing but the best but to tell you the truth, there isn't one heck of a lot of difference. The differences can be found in magazines and in manufacturers claims but the reality is that only a very few very picky fishermen will ever be able to tell.

I now run Trilene or Izorline and I don't change it unless I notice a problem. So far I haven't but I keep extra fresh reels onboard just in case.

Most of my fishing is for some trout species and I put 12lb on every reel to ensure that no matter how much of a hurry I get in, I'll still have decent knot strength.

This past week I had 12 different people using my gear and not once did someone say "this must be cheap line" or "This lines too heavy". They just kept hauling fish in and smiling.

The bottom line for me is that I'm keeping money in my pocket and still catching the same amount of fish.
    I bet you only hear complaints when no one is catching fish....

That is a testament, if you can run that line with many different skill levels in the boat and have no issues with it.

That izorline is darn cheap and if works then its worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seeinred View Post
    I bet you only hear complaints when no one is catching fish....

That is a testament, if you can run that line with many different skill levels in the boat and have no issues with it.

That izorline is darn cheap and if works then its worth a shot.
    Give it a shot, it's surprisingly abrasion resistant.

Post Thanks / Like

The lube idea is worth trying....do you lube as you spool or when your finished spooling?

I understand what your saying JS...again that's why I asked....trying to see if there was a particular brand that was a bit more reliable than the others.

I believe you usually get what you pay for and I've often been one to not give any attention to lines such as CAJUN or the BIG GAME....but there are guys on here that say they swear by it. Me having never used can't say whether its worth a shot or not. But if enough folks use it and say its worth trying then why not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sgs1 View Post

I've started using Izorline thanks to some recommendations from fellow sniffers and I'm very impressed with it. It's comparable to Maxima at a fraction of the cost. The abrasion resistance is great, I've landed several large salmon on it this season with no issue.
    Fishing, it's cheaper than therapy!

Post Thanks / Like

All these fishing lines and no one talks about Ande...I feel hurt.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_ONE View Post
    All these fishing lines and no one talks about Ande...I feel hurt.

I know Ande has a lot of world records to its name and if I'm not mistaken has the most world records, but I've only used it once and had terrible experiences with it. I bought a spool of 12# and it had tons of memory, it was stiff, the line warped a little when tying knots, and it didn't seem to be all that abrasion resistant. Now for big game blue water palagics I don't think much of any of that is an issue because of the giant conventional reels, memory shouldn't be much of a problem, warping when tying knots is propably not an issue because of the use of crimps, and abrasion resistance not much of an issue because all yhe open water verses fishing in a river with rocks, wood, and all the other stuff line rubs against. Just my opinion, but not a great line for me.

Big game is still at the top of my list and then izorline platinum for cheaper lines.

My favorite, which is really not too much more expensive than the cheap stuff and is well worth the money is pline cxx and izorline xxx copolymer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast