Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Duck Season

Quote Originally Posted by calamari View Post
    If you hunt in the toe drains except where they border Sutter National Refuge there isn't a problem and we agree. Your post gave me the impression you were out in the bypass past the wooded areas next to the toe drain.

P.S.- who said anything about hunting levees? I can't think of ANYWHERE it's legal to hunt from a levee. It kinda goes without saying.

Re read the description of what is open to hunting in the Sutter Bypass Wildlife Area and look at the map of the area.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/regio...erBypassWA.pdf

Here's one example of the levee being open to hunting.

Public hunting areas:
    The East Channel, East Levee, and grassy berm strip located between the East Levee and outside drainage canal
    The levees are the primary areas open to hunting. If you like the duck hunting you get only in the toe drains, great!
    Sounds to me it was more of you assuming he was breaking the law without actually reading what was written. I read it without jumping to a conclusion and I understood it perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL,well I see my ol freind calamari has reared his intellectual know it all head!!Of course he may be right ya never know!!I gave up hunting so I don't have a clue so you guys be careful on where ya hunt!!!Good Luck.........Good job frieda !!

Post Thanks / Like

You know the hunting is bad when all you take a pictures of is breakfast. Left my camera with Okie. My buddy won't go hunting anymore till Winter real comes. On a good note we were able to reset the blind since it was pointing too far to the left. Tomorrow we will go put on some palms the anchor chain took off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GNappers View Post
    Got to cook some egg cheese and bacon breakfast burritos on the blind at least. Too nice today.
    What happened with taking a pix? :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Got to cook some egg cheese and bacon breakfast burritos on the blind at least. Too nice today.

Post Thanks / Like

I am heading out tomorrow. Hopefully the blues are flying and not sitting around the point. It is frustrating when someone could care less about another Sniffers original post and just go on ad on about the same subject. Better idea would be to start your own post.

Post Thanks / Like

Calamari, Your post was edited by me. You don't need to be condescending to get your point across. If someone is just not getting what you are trying to point out and you feel the need to get awnry about it then maybe just let it go, or take a break from the key board.

Keep it civil gentlemen.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Sutter Bypass Wildlife Area - Sutter County[/h]
    The symbols above are activities permitted on this Wildlife Area. Click for more info.Description: Sutter County - south of the Sutter Buttes and southwest of Yuba City
    Phone Number: (916) 358-2900
    Maps: Directional Map (PDF) Topographic Map (PDF)

Area Regulations:

• No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed
    • Camping and trailers are not allowed

Special Restrictions: Those portions of the east and west levees of the Wildlife Area adjacent to the Sutter National Wildlife Refuge shall be closed to the pursuit and take of waterfowl (ducks, geese, coots, moorhens - 551, Title 14).
    Access:

• Tisdale Bypass: From Hwy 20, approximately 5 miles east of the junction with Hwy 45, turn south onto Tarke Road. To access the bypass from Garmire/Cranmore Road, turn right onto Garmire from Tarke. To access from Progress Road/Reclamation Road, continue on Tarke, which eventually becomes Reclamation Road.
    • Sutter Bypass East Levee and East Channel: 22 miles in length from Highway 20 south to the junction with the Feather River Levee and the Nelson Slough Management Unit of the Feather River Wildlife Area. The East Levee is generally closed to vehicles.
    • Sutter Bypass West Levee and West Channel: 9.5 miles in length from Highway 20 to the Tisdale Bypass and 6.1 miles in length from the Tisdale Bypass south to Highway 113. The West Levee is closed to vehicles.

Description: The Sutter Bypass Wildlife Area consists of the Tisdale Bypass and two long, narrow parcels on either side of the Sutter Bypass, for a total of 3,204 acres.
    Recreational Use: Type C Wildlife Area - no permits, passes, or reservations are required.

• No camping, but overnight parking is allowed while fishing.
    • Fishing is allowed. Both Sutter Bypass Channels have catfish, bullheads, largemouth bass, bluegill, sunfish, black crappie and chinook salmon. Chinook salmon are most common in October and November. Fish ladders are present at the dams to assist the salmon in their migration to Butte Creek. No fishing within 250 feet of a ladder.

Hunting: Permitted daily during open seasons for all legal species. Shotgun and archery only. Good populations of deer (Zone D-4), waterfowl, and mourning dove. Valley quail, pheasant, rabbits, and turkeys may also be found in the wildlife area.
    Public hunting areas:

1. Highway 20 south to the Wadsworth Canal
      1. The Sutter Bypass East Channel, East Levee, and grassy berm strip located between the East Levee and outside drainage canal.
      2. The forested strip inside the Sutter Bypass between the Sutter Bypass East Channel and the farm lands. (Please do not trespass on private farm lands). This forested strip begins 1.1 miles north of Franklin Road and extends to a point 0.8 miles south of Franklin Road.

2. Wadsworth Canal to Highway 113
      1. The East Channel, East Levee, and grassy berm strip located between the East Levee and outside drainage canal except for the 2.2 mile East Levee area inside the Sutter National Wildlife Refuge (NWR), which is open for fishing nd closed to hunting. (The Sutter NWR Hunter Check Station is open for waterfowl and pheasant hunting on the Sutter NWR during waterfowl season on Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays. Call CDFW, Region 2 for hunting information about the Sutter NWR).

3. Highway 113 to the Feather River levee
      1. The East Channel, East Levee, and grassy berm strip located between the East Levee and outside drainage canal. There is no hunting in the forested marsh area between the East Channel and the Sutter Bypass farm lands.

4. Tisdale Bypass
      1. 4.4 miles in length and 425 acres in size from the Sacramento River to the Sutter bypass. The best hunting opportunity is here in the brushy/weedy habitat.

5. Highway 20 to 3/4 mile north of Gilsizer Slough
      1. The West Channel, West Levee, and grassy berm strip located between the West Levee and outside drainage canal. The 100 foot wide outside grassy berm begins 1.5 miles north of Hughes Road and extends 3 miles south of Hughes Road to the Tisdale Bypass.
      2. The forested strip inside the Sutter Bypass between the Sutter Bypass West Channel and farm lands. (Please do not trespass on private farm lands). The forested strip extends from Highway 20 going south to a point 0.5 miles north of the Sutter National Wildlife Refuge north boundary (or 2.4 miles south of Franklin Road).

6. 3/4 mile north of Gilsizer Slough to Highway 113
      1. The West Channel, West Levee, and very narrow grassy berm strip located between the West Levee and outside drainage canal. There is no hunting in the forested marsh area between the West Channel and the Sutter Bypass farm lands.

Facilities: None
    Last edited by fishingfrieda; 11-06-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What part of this example is hard for you to understand? Except for only one short short stretch of a couple of hundred yards they aren't county roads and have gates on them that are often closed.

Here's one example of the levee being open to hunting.

Public hunting areas:
    The East Channel, East Levee, and grassy berm strip located between the East Levee and outside drainage canal

Look at the map of the Sutter Bypass Wildlife area. Read the description. Don't look at the map, don't look at the description. I really don't care. I and tons of others have hunted the Sutter Bypass levees for years. Check with a warden at Sutter if you don't believe it. It's very clear in the Sutter Bypass WA description. It tends also to be poor hunting because it is hunted and the birds rise up going over them. Maybe you've got the Sacramento River levees confused with the Sutter Bypass. Just saying over and over again that you're right when the printed regs say you're wrong doesn't work but it's OK with me. Enjoy the toe drains.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calamari View Post
    The levees are the primary areas open to hunting. If you like the duck hunting you get only in the toe drains, great!
    WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Its funny i hunt the bypass every year and i have yet to see someone hunting from the levees.

the levees are public ROADS! Look them up, they are even NAMED! Hell one portion of the west levee is FRANKLIN ROAD! YOU CANNOT HUNT ON PUBLIC ROADWAYS

And yes i do hunt in the 'toe drains' along with 99.9% of everyone else.

MOST people take a boat out, park it along the veg on the side of the bank. Throw a camo cover over you and sit and wait. The ducks fly over the water very low and you can ambush them as they are flying in. Dont know how this would work on the levees as they could see you standing there and even if they were dumb enough to fly right over you getting the bird back would be a b***h

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast