Post Thanks / Like

Re: Issue with my KUFA rod

Jfit: did you try to repair you rod?....if so, was it easier than expected?....if you took it in....curious of the price charged to fix....

Post Thanks / Like

I have only replaced 1 guide. It really isn't that hard if you do it a described by gfs.

Your basicly just whipping/wrapping string around a round pole, and epoxying aka putting a hard clear shell on it. If you can tightly whip/wrap a piece of thread around a bic pen, you can fix your rod.

A set of fugi guides are like $12, epoxy is a couple bucks and the thread is a couple bucks. You will have enough extra thread and epoxy to make any future upgrades or repairs.
    Last edited by Marv; 11-04-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    A bad fisherman will leave trash and take fish.
    A good fisherman will leave fish and take trash.

Post Thanks / Like

just cut the front out of a box and 2 v's in each side to lay the rod in,, use a book to run the thread through for tension...
    if you fish for trout you will catch trout!! if you fish for steelhead you might catch steelhead!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great info as always sir!!

Fish on!
    Always wishin I was fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 49erbassman View Post
    Unless you plan on making rods in the future would the cost of the supplies and equipment needed really be worth it Steve for one rod?
    The cost for the supplies for one rod would only be the cost of the epoxy a brush and the guides. The rest of the materials are usually common household items. Fancy threads are just that, you can get them at a local sewing shop, they are known as colorfast threads. Some are more specialized but you don't need them at this level.

You don't need a fancy motorized blank turner. A simple pair of v-blocks made out of scrap wood works just fine. I actually used a pair of clamp on rod holders for a boat on my first repair job.

List of things you need:

A pair of V-Blocks made from scrap wood.
    Colorfast thread
    Razor Blade
    Green Scotch Brite
    Flexible Epoxy
    Replacement Guides
    Masking tape
    Bic Lighter and a hot melt glue gun (if replacing the tip guide).
    Detail paint brush (water color paint brushes will work but crimp them first or the hairs will pull out with the weight of the heavier epoxy.

Caution - After the first one you'll see how easy it is and then you'll want to start adding in patterns. After you learn about guide placement you'll build a grid board and start checking all your rods. Once you do that you're hooked and you'll realize you can custom build all your rods using the blanks you already own.

Acknowledgement: Custom rod builders are artists and understand the physics of each blank they're working with. There are no two blanks that are exactly alike and a Custom Rod builder recognizes this. A lot of knowledge is needed to do this commercially. The money you pay for a custom built rod is normally a lot less than the true cost if you were actually charged a competitive hourly rate.
    Last edited by Line Stretcher; 10-28-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sgs1 View Post
    The dilemma you're looking at is what prompted me to learn to fix my own rods. It's pretty easy to replace the guides on a rod because the rod is already laid out with correct guide placement.

There are several good books on rod repair and rod building at mudhole. It's really simple to do the repairs and not very expensive.

One of the side benefits will be that you'll know how to find a good rod after you know what to really look for.

I highly recommend that you give it a try.
    Unless you plan on making rods in the future would the cost of the supplies and equipment needed really be worth it Steve for one rod?
    Always wishin I was fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    I like the action of the rod a lot. I however do not have the eyelets any longer as they popped out and traveled to the bottom of collins lake. Is the repair going to require new guides being put on? If so I know I'll have to take it in because I have no clue how to do that.
    The dilemma you're looking at is what prompted me to learn to fix my own rods. It's pretty easy to replace the guides on a rod because the rod is already laid out with correct guide placement.

There are several good books on rod repair and rod building at mudhole. It's really simple to do the repairs and not very expensive.

One of the side benefits will be that you'll know how to find a good rod after you know what to really look for.

I highly recommend that you give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sgs1 View Post
    I've glued them back in with super glue and the hold pretty well. Is the rod a decent rod otherwise? If it is, check out Custom Fishing Rod Building & Tackle Crafting Supply | mudhole.com, they've got everything you need to make it better than new. Top of the line are the Re-Coil guides with Fuji's as a close second.
    I like the action of the rod a lot. I however do not have the eyelets any longer as they popped out and traveled to the bottom of collins lake. Is the repair going to require new guides being put on? If so I know I'll have to take it in because I have no clue how to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    I bought this rod last year at the ise show. Very next day the rod broke on a 2lb trout. Well that was strike one for me. Luckily my fiance was working the show and was able to talk to the crystal basin booth. After giving her a little grief they gave her a new top half. Well I've used it twice since then. Once for melones kokes and again on Saturday.

On Saturday while loading it on the rigger 2 eyelets popped out! :mad2: My question is can new eyelets be popped back in? I love the feel of this rod however I'm at the point that I want to trade it for 2 agility rods or SST rods
    I've glued them back in with super glue and the hold pretty well. Is the rod a decent rod otherwise? If it is, check out Custom Fishing Rod Building & Tackle Crafting Supply | mudhole.com, they've got everything you need to make it better than new. Top of the line are the Re-Coil guides with Fuji's as a close second.

Post Thanks / Like

Issue with my KUFA rod

I bought this rod last year at the ise show. Very next day the rod broke on a 2lb trout. Well that was strike one for me. Luckily my fiance was working the show and was able to talk to the crystal basin booth. After giving her a little grief they gave her a new top half. Well I've used it twice since then. Once for melones kokes and again on Saturday.

On Saturday while loading it on the rigger 2 eyelets popped out! :mad2: My question is can new eyelets be popped back in? I love the feel of this rod however I'm at the point that I want to trade it for 2 agility rods or SST rods