Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishinglakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fletcher View Post
    hey, thanks for putting that up. I hadn't heard about the complete ban of boats until now. dang! well, at least there's a glimmer of hope there. things will probably change quite a bit if the county takes over. no more big trout or monster cats will be planted, most likely. bass fishing should survive as usual. had some great days there. hopefully will have some more.

are you in orange county jeff?
    South Bay/Torrance. But back in the day I fished all over the place lol! Been starting another business here the last 3 or 4 years and that takes up most of my time. But I get to fish, explore, and talk story vicariously online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post
    hey, thanks for putting that up. I hadn't heard about the complete ban of boats until now. dang! well, at least there's a glimmer of hope there. things will probably change quite a bit if the county takes over. no more big trout or monster cats will be planted, most likely. bass fishing should survive as usual. had some great days there. hopefully will have some more.

are you in orange county jeff?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fletcher View Post
    no! really? I know they stopped allowing private boats, but closed for good? say it aint so! I have a lotta good childhood memories at that place and still go when the opportunity arises.

where did you hear that?
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...ake-water.html
    Just dug this up!

4. Likes Mr.Fletcher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post
    I heard Irvine is closing for good!

no! really? I know they stopped allowing private boats, but closed for good? say it aint so! I have a lotta good childhood memories at that place and still go when the opportunity arises.

where did you hear that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardead View Post
    is corona open?
    I heard Irvine is closing for good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    They sure are. I prefer Irvine lake and laguna Nigel better. If I had to choose between. Santa ana and corona. I would pick Santa ana.
    is corona open?

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff "Fletch" lol

Post Thanks / Like

oops, i think next time i'll take a closer look at the date before posting a response, lol.

(i'm guessin we've moved on from this one)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been fishing Santa Ana River lakes off and on for.....well, let's just say a really long time! Irvine as well. There are some HUGE fish in there (the state record is from SARL). In 2013, I landed a 20lb+ rainbow which now swims on my living room wall (not very fast, though!).

That said, it can be frustrating at times. They stuff it with a lot of fish, so one would expect a decent amount of action; however, all too often this isn't the case. After paying $25 to bank fish, it's only human to feel a bit cheated going all day without hooking even a 12 incher. If you look around though, there's always a handful of regulars that consistently put fish on the bank. If you're not one of 'em, you're doing something wrong.

my suggestions for the first time visitor (for whatever it's worth):

Bait Fishing
    1) two rods, two different baits, and a softly pinched micro-shot as a stopper on the slip-sliding rig. this allows quick adjustment of leader length in search of the magic setup. it must be lobbed gently though. more on that in a sec......

2) you want to catch a fish, right? one rig should always have powerbait on it (chartreuse has proven best by a longshot for myself). the other you'll be using something different than anyone else around has on. the nightcrawler/marshallow combo was quite popular decades ago, now you rarely see it- except on my rod maybe. the idea here is to give the seasoned fish something they haven't learned to reject.

3) 15 - 20 minutes is long enough to soak, reel in and adjust your leader length if nothing happens. As the day progresses, you'll most likely want to go shorter on the leader- especially on sunny days. when it comes to how far/deep to fish, the opposite holds true: short casts early in the day, reach out far when the suns overhead. In the early predawn morning, probably 98% of casts are over the fishes' heads. so, that gentle lob I mentioned turns out to be a blessing, keeping it in close where it belongs (early in the day). which brings us to........

4) keep yer body away from the water! when it isn't crowded and you have elbow room, stay BACK (rods too) from the waters' edge. 12'-15' is a good start. particularly early and late in the day, these fish cruise in close for food. unless you are extremely good looking, they'll scoot away from you and your baits.

5) i'm gonna finish with one more thought before this turns into a dang book (too late, hunh?) ..... nothing heavier than 4lb test. get bit first- then you can worry about getting him on the beach. I prefer tournament line since it has the thinnest diameter and highest consistency (it breaks under it's rated strength, that's why it needs to be manufactured with greater precision).
    And, should you happen to hook a whopper, BE PATIENT- he's gonna take some line; probably a lot at first. you MUST lessen your drag as more line pays out! (on my 20lber, my drag knob was completely backed off a couple times) PM me if you want to know the reasons why, i'm tryin to keep this short!

**(here's a big fish tip, and trust me this is a solid one: days with the santa ana winds blowing strong have the best potential for a HEAVY limit.......fish INTO the wind on the west bank. it takes a lot of weight to reach the drop off that lies beyond the shelf on this shore, but if you can get it there- they stack up feasting on shad schools that get pushed against the mud break-line that is created by the waves. it extends much further out than what you see from shore, you gotta reach the dropoff ........ okay! that's all ya get from me!)

Lure Fishing
    1) cast out, retrieve, repeat.......

(hey, do you want to spend another hour reading my nonsense? get out there and fish already!)

Post Thanks / Like

They sure are. I prefer Irvine lake and laguna Nigel better. If I had to choose between. Santa ana and corona. I would pick Santa ana.

12. Likes CRABBY liked this post
    Dislikes CRABBY disliked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast