Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Braid and Etiquette

never experienced it. but this is a very interesting discussion to follow
    Last edited by adalah; 07-05-2019 at 10:23 AM.

2. Dislikes BigUnInDaBoat disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbutt21 View Post
    I have used spectra braid on most of my chater boat trips with no problems or negative comments from deckhands.on tuna trips every one on board is using it as backing on live bait rods and as main line on trolling rods.even the rental gear on some long range boats use spectra braid.but I have not seen dacron braid used in years
    That is one creepy shark picture!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess this thread got necro'd Just noticed the date. 15 years ago lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using braid on party boats the last 5 years and never had anyone say anything. I use 50# braid and usually have 10’ of 20-25# mono just Incase I snag the bottom. The mono will break first. My first season I didn’t use the mono topshot and when I snagged it was a huge PITA to break off. When you spend $50 on a spoil of braid you don’t want to lose it to the rocks

Post Thanks / Like

Always do this and help partners. It's like breaking yourself

7. Dislikes BigUnInDaBoat disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if you know what you are doing,then it perfectly acceptible. If you are tangeling everyone then the captn.will probbaly insist that you use one of the boat rods.

9. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point about the depth restriction El Jefe. I started using sprectra so I could pull lings out of 300+ ft of water. In the shallower water it doesn't have quite the same level of benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen people use braided line, and it doesn't seem like the crew had an issue with it. Sometimes they even point it out and ask about it, but mainly as a conversation starter and not to discourage it.
    You could try using a top shot of mono just so that you still have the capacity, but are able to break it off if you snag up on the rocks. Since you can only fish less than 120ft maybe a 200ft top shot would be perfect for most days.

Post Thanks / Like

I see some people use braided lines on party boats and no one seems to mind or even notice. It might be a little strong for rock fishing or when you are fishing stripers in the rocks, since those snags will be tough to break off. I mainly use mono and have never had problems with fish breaking off, most of my break offs can be attributed to snaps, swivels, hooks, and snags. I don't like using braid myself because I worry about breaking my poles more than anything else or cutting my hand up. I have seen a few guys get snagged up and ended up cutting off at the pole a few times, where at the end of the day they didn't have much line left in their spools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast