Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on electric smokers???

I realize this is an old thread, but I keep running across these old discussions and finding I have suggestions or better info to offer

I used to have a $29 electic Brinkmann and it was a happy day when that thing finally took a dirt nap. At that price point, there was no way to control the temperature. In the summer, it could easily sail away around 250 with no problem. On cold and windy days, hitting 175 was a real struggle.

I currently have a Cookshack SM50 in the fleet http://janeskitchenmiracles.com/best...kers-reviewed/ It's insulated so the smoker is pretty much impervious to the cold and wind.

Even though it has a thermostat, the cooking chamber goes through some pretty wide temperature swings as the element cycles on and off. I've seen swings as wide as 35 degrees either side of the target.

It's just the nature of that beast and I'm used to it now but this behavior would certainly drive the uber anal retentive types who fret about a three degree variance in a WSM over an hour absolutely nuts.

Both of the electrics I've had have turned out decent food that I don't believe could be distinguished from that cooked over coals or other heat source. The food frankly doesn't care what's generating the heat and smoke.

I got ithe Cookshack because the hardware bug bit me and this was part of my quest to own at least one of everything at some point before I'm done. Although there's nothing wrong with it, I don't use the Cookshack very often.

I guess the thought of plugging in my Q is just too foreign of a concept for me to embrace. Playing with fire is part of the appeal of barbecue to me.
    Last edited by Qusate; 12-03-2018 at 02:19 AM.

2. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just tried a Traeger. Way over the top price wise. But man it did some great meat. I mean really good. Used wood pellets that came in many different varieties. Very easy to use. It operates on a hopper/auger set up so it constantly feeds the pellets into the fire you just set the temp and walk away. I recommend it but for the price I guess you better be getting a great product.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a litle chief about 4 years ago. It's a front load type. Have had no problems with it. I went with a cheap one because I was not sure how much I would use it. Once I started,. I use it at least once a month. I don't do alot of fish but do alot of meats and chicken. Even more I do alot of cheese. My buddy next door has a top load little chief so I borrow his rack and cold smoke 4 racks of cheese at least once a month. Shel

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the electric converter from cabelas for my Brinkman smoker/bbq'r best move i made, no more charcoal no more temp going up and down. As far as a smoker blankit i just use a moving pad or blankit those grey ones movers use to wrap furnature. Perfect smoked fish every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugsydog View Post
    cookshack.com

some of the best smokers around

Yep good place to go to getting supplies.....Jetspray

http://www.cookshack.com/residential-barbecue-smokers

Post Thanks / Like

cookshack.com

some of the best smokers around

Post Thanks / Like

a cheap alternative to a smoker blanket is to save the box the smoker came in and put it over the smoker on cold days.

Bigdave

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a Little Chief for years and make great smoked stuff. Whenever I am out and see some of the great newer units I think I should upgrade but never can get it to the top of the list. Haven't eaten anyone elses smoked fish from all types of smokers that I like any better than what comes off the Little Chief.
    You can really load it up if you bend some paper clips into a hook and hang the fish or meat instead of lay them on the rack. Think it smokes better also.

Post Thanks / Like

Brinkman electric smoker works great for me. Simple, cheap and does a good job on the fish you listed above. One thing is, I wish it had the adjustable temp.

Post Thanks / Like

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]Love my luhr jensen smokers work great no fuss and easy clean up. [smiley=goodscout1jp.gif]

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast