Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Father's Day grub - what did you have?

Thanks for the map, Mooch. I'm getting some eye work done at the VA so I'll have a couple of hours to kill when I walk out since my eyes will be dilated and I'll be wearing those funny cardboard glasses; too blind to drive for awhile. Maybe I'll catch a cab over to Schaub's. If I score one of Fred's tri tips I'll definitely report back.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to be on the safe side and ask the butcher how long to cook them for. I normaly cook a large one for 45 min in the oven, but please... dont over cook it!
    Good eats,
    GH

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by żżż; 03-16-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender
    ...if your ever in the area, pick one up and try it out for your self.
    What a coincidence, I'm working just south of Palo Alto right now. I have an appointment at the VA hospital Monday morning in Palo Alto. Tell me how to get to Schaub's and I'll stop by and pick one up. 8-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farrier_Frank
    [quote author=Bartender link=1245682292/0#8 date=1245778486]As the main course we baked a Fred's steak.
    Ok. I give up. What's a Fred's steak... and baked? [/quote]

Its a tri-tip that is only sold at Schaub's in Palo Alto. It has this dark black color to it because of the marinade its been in. They can be bbq but they seem to dry out quicker then baking. I cook mine till rare, then let it rest to med-rare. No spices or sauces are needed for these. They are so flavorful and tender. if your ever in the area, pick one up and try it out for your self. [smiley=chowtime.gif] ******

(they are this color before and after cooking)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender
    As the main course we baked a Fred's steak.
    Ok. I give up. What's a Fred's steak... and baked?

Post Thanks / Like

As the main course we baked a Fred's steak. Has anyone else had one?, one of the best steaks I have ever had!

GH

Post Thanks / Like

I had to cook my own, the Wife and Boy are still down at Stanford, and I just got home from there Sunday afternoon, but I made some Braised Shortribs over Wide Noodles, and poured myself a large Single Malt. It wasn't the best Fathers Day, but certainly not the worst.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I've never eaten at a Cheese Cake Factory, never even been to one for that matter, but I have eaten some of their cheese cake and as far as I'm concerned it's some of the best cheese cake I've ever had.

steveo79

I've always found the best father's day meals are the one's I prepare at home. It's my way of saying thanks to my family for making me the luckiest father in the world!
    That's how I feel, too. I like to join forces with my wife, who is from a long line of incredible cooks, and make a meal together. We had Tri tip, and Shrimp-spinach salad, a few other sides, and then a peanut butter pie with an Oreo crust, and one with a Graham cracker crust, for desert. I'm a lucky man, an know it. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast