Thread: Lake Browns

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Browns

Thanks FiestaFisher, I'll look around some more, see if maybe I can find a book or at least some more articles. I appreciate the feedback.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Your correct in you dream, most Brown books are written for traditional tributary or even sea run browns. most of my limited info came from a couple of chapters out of Many books. Also, There's a couple of great websites that you can glean some truth from. And if your really serious and have the fundage I'd book a trip with a guide or guides who specialize or have experience with Brown's. There's a guide who post' a lot on the mack board who catches them in Tahoe and I've seen in his reports tactics and timing for browns.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hey FiestaFisher - do you have any books you're recommend in particular? I've looked at a couple, read one or two on how to catch monster browns. But so much of the stuff gets away from the basics. They either focus specifically on river browns, or they apply almost exclusively to river AND fly fishing. Or the techniques they discuss apply to lakes the size of Tahoe and boat fishing.

I can find the occasional good article and grabs bits and peaces here and there, but if you have a book off the top of your head that would discuss the habits of lake browns with strategies for fishing from shores or even wading, their spawning habits, their migration habits, etc....that would be great. I enjoy reading this stuff.

I'm sure I'm dreaming on finding a book this specific but something in the general ballpark would be great. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Please, please, please can we stay on topic? I'm looking to learn some of the habits of browns throughout the various seasons. Wasn't really looking for this to turn into ANOTHER discussion on whether browns are stocked. And I certainly wasn't looking for anyone to tell me whether I could practice catch and release. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

stefanoflo I don't know where you got your information on brown planting, I live just a few miles from a brown hatchery and I have been in there asking about planting browns and they say they are still planting browns by the thousands. This topic came up before so I went to sort it out, and Mt. Shasta Hatchery told me the planting will continue. And one more tidbit, the browns they plant can reproduce. If I have been misinformed can someone fill me in.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

3- they're feeding in the shallows, they are ambush predators and ambush bait fish/ crustaceans on flats. Especially flats adjacent to a deep shelf that(the flat) is filled with stumps.
    2- hanging out below the thermocline, expending very little energy to feed. Spring Time is feed time
    1-it lasts how long it last and varies every year by conditions, since there isn't as strong a flow from the tributaries in lakes/reservoirs and different age fish move at different times and there is only so much space for fish to nest they arrive, spawn, hang around and leave at different times. I've seen Brown's in lake almanor displaying spawn patterns from august to December depending on the year.
    There are some great books on fishing for browns that explain in detail. Good luck

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Browns

Hey peeps - I'm looking for some more education. I'm trying to figure out the yearly patterns of browns. In the fall, they spawn and this year it seems they may have done it much later than usual because of the drought, is that possible? Or does the spawn simply last a long time? And...I know they tend to hit the incoming river beds to spawn, but are some of the fish in a given lake going to hit shallow coves and such instead of hitting the river?

Last year, I caught some lake browns from the shore in the springtime. What's bringing them to the shallows in the spring since the spawn was in the fall? Are they simply trying to pack on the calories before the summer heat that drives them all deep?

In summary...

1. They spawn in the fall...how long does that last? Weeks? A couple months?

2. What are they doing in the dead of winter between the fall spawn and whatever they're doing in the spring? What are their habits?

3. What's bringing them to the shallows in the spring...or did I just get lucky last year?

Thanks!