Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there such thing as saltwater fishing lessons & are there any in Orange County

I'm learning by reading books, locally-based magazines specific for my region, and talking to tackle shop owners. It's probably best to read before talking to the tackle shop owners, so as to avoid basic newb questions.
    Last edited by TroutGhost; 03-22-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there such thing as saltwater fishing lessons & are there any in Orange County

What you should consider is pier fishing. It's a good way to get out on the water and get to where some fish are. Don't go alone.

Also you can go to any beach with waves and have a chance with surf perch fishing.
    Requires a spinning rod, 6-10 pound test, some weight and some grubs. Google it.
    Also don't do that alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

$200 is about half a paycheck for me. I work part time at a public library. But I suppose I could ask for my birthday for everyone to go in together - even if it just pays part of it.

I go so early in the morning everyone tends to be super quiet. I just want to catch whatever's legal, though I don't eat shellfish. (The few times I "caught" anything it was crab, which I always threw back.) I cut it out of my diet cause my cholesterol was too high. Been able to keep it well within normal range without any other changes ever since.

Oh, I guess I should point out I'm a female. If you go to my profile and look for my album you'll find a few pictures of me (and of my dad). I don't care for having my photo taken, however, so it's mostly pictures of fish caught by either dad, mom, or me. Mom refuses to be in the photos all together but sometimes she manages to get me into the picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there such thing as saltwater fishing lessons & are there any in Orange Co...

Also, don't be afraid to go down to the piers or jetties and just talk to other people that are fishing there. You'll find that most fishermen are helpful and will provide knowledge. Especially to new guys just trying to get into fishing
    Last edited by JB14; 05-31-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    Insert witty line here

Post Thanks / Like

Many guides offer the type of "on the water training" that you are looking for. Some are very happy to show you rigging and tackle techniques while providing a more informative approach to guiding. Contact a couple who fish the areas and species you are interested in and tell them exactly what you are looking for. You will find the best training $200 can buy with the right guide.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Is there such thing as saltwater fishing lessons & are there any in Orange County?

Since this isn't a boating question I didn't feel comfortable asking this in the saltwater forum. After several days debate I decided since I'm located in SoCal this was the best forum.

I live in Costa Mesa so I'm far closer to the ocean than freshwater. (And even the freshwater fishing around here is mostly paid lakes that I understand the fish taste terrible.)

I want to get into saltwater fishing but I find I'm not very good at it.

1: I'm used to only rigging for freshwater.

2: I really don't know what bait to use - I'm used to live bait like worms and night crawlers. I don't ever use lures simply because I've never had luck with them.

3: I can't do it from a boat - I get too violently seasick. And even if I could - well, it's just too expensive. While fishing from the shore, piers, and docks are free.

My oldest brother saltwater fishes, but he works for Disneyland and is simply too busy to teach me.

I thought maybe if there was classes offered or someone who did teaching for a relatively inexpensive price it would help. I learn much, much better seeing and doing than I do from books or videos alone. But my internet searches don't turn up anything except places like Davy's Locker - which is only about boat rental and fishing from boats.

And if there isn't, well, maybe my post would inspire some of you to start a side business teaching newbies in your spare time. That way you get paid to fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12