Thread: Jerky Marinade

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jerky Marinade

i love to cook and am always looking for new and exciting stuff. last night i came across a recipe for pinapple-habanero chutney and thought that i would make a great marinade for jerky.

for the chutney:

1 T butter
    1/2 c chopped onion
    pinch of salt
    2 c diced pinapple
    1/2 c diced red bell pepper
    1 T minced habanero peppers (or to taste.... they are hella hot!!!) you can use whatever peppers you would like though.
    1/2 c white vinegar
    1/4 c sugar
    1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
    1 T water

melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. add onions and season with the salt. saute 2 minutes and add pinapple, bell pepper and habanero. saute till pinapple is soft (approx 7 min) stirring frequently. add vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil.
    in a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water to make a smooth paste. gradually stir in the slurry till incorporated and bring back to a boil to thicken.
    cook 4 minutes stirring constantly. remove from heat and cool completely.
    store in an airtight container till ready to use.

i will do this recipe the next time i make jerky. it will be sweet and spicy and i think it will rival the teriyaki flavor. the only modifications i would suggest is to put into a blender or food processer to liquify it. omit the cornstarch as you don't want it thick. you want it thin so it will soak in better. thin to a lighter consistancy.

london broil or anything with a slight fat content would be good. fat makes it go rancid. to slice, i have 2 of the wooden yardsticks but you can use whatever you have on hand. place the meat down and put the wooden guides on either side. slice straight down till you hit the giudes, turn the knife and cut..."unrolling" the meat. do the same thing on the other side and you will have about a mile and a half of uniformly sliced meat. cut into strips (again using the sticks as a width guide and cut to length. it helps with the slicing if the meat is very lightly frozen as it is easier to cut. marinade and dry....if anyone does this before i get to, please post your results. good luck! tc

Post Thanks / Like

Londen Broil is good jerky when it is on sale-very little fat

Post Thanks / Like

I usally use a Large 5 Lb roast and cut it really thin. Wor is Yes as you wrote I cant spell that darn word for some reason. I use the smoker and leave it on low setting for 6-8 hrs depending on the temperature outside.

Post Thanks / Like

What's "wor" --- Worcestershire sauce?
    You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Post Thanks / Like

What cut of meat do you usually use? Whatever is cheap or is there a specific one? Smoker or dehydrator?

Post Thanks / Like

Jerky Marinade

Daryl White's Jerky

1 Tbsp Salt
    1 Tbsp course ground pepper
    1/2 Large onion
    2 cups wor
    1 cup A-1 steak sauce
    1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup lemon juice
    1 cup lime juice
    2 cups brown sugar