Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoking - the mahogany look????

south bay fisher: i like your method and will try it once i start catching again. it sounds more like a rub like on ribs and stuff...you have to start out with a good brine as it is the foundation for a good cure and finished product. my brine is the basic usual kosher salt deal but to that i add lots of secret herbs and spices and soak for at least a day or maybe two. here is where it gets unique. what i make is a brine but i also use acids... lemon, lime juice and my home made vinegar so it is actually a brine/marinade. i will give the basic ingredients to whomever wants them but they will have to experiment just like i did. my recipe has never changed in the last20 years and it took a very lone time of trial and error to reach what i think is the best way to do fish. even people who will not eat fish love my product. i use tons of brown sugar in the brine and while the fish is smoking i dissolve about a box of brown sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, ginger and ...........brandy, rum, whiskey works well as does some orange zest/ juice, etc. make it a syrup and during the last of the smoking time, brush the thickened "candy" on the fish several times and it will get thicker and thicker with each application. it is indeed fish candy. tc pm me if you want more info.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a thread ok here is my two plus cents. First off i used to do the whole brine this but never quite got the taste i wanted good yes but not the holly mother of christ this is the best thing ever. So i started using a different method after reading about smoking fish everyspare min i had at work for about a week i came up with this way and it is my new way of doing things.

first filet out the fish, then mix together koshersalt, fresh craked black pepper and garlic powder. i get about a cup of this mixture for around a limit or my size smoker full of fish. Then liberaly coat both sides of the fish with this mixture i mean pack it on there. Then layer the fish inbetween layers of brown sugar i always poor a little bit of scotch on top i've used burbon too with great sucsess. and let is sit till the sugar turns from crystals to a liquid. Then i pick up the filets wipe off the exstra sryup with my hands i don't wash off with water just wipe off the exsess then put on a rack to tack up after it tacks i smoke for 18-24 hrs i like a harder smoke on my fish i haven't run into anyone that doesn't like it yet. it also has the dark color you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

correct a mundo, 916... any unnecessary peek will add about 30 minutes to cooking time... this is per peek so unless you absolutely have to be in there, don't do it! taking off the top or opening that huge door just creates a hot air rising phenonomen and that heat gets gone really fast. if you are slow cooking at around 140-170, it takes a long time for the temp to get back to normal. tc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KOKANEEKIDTC
    916 jus' like 'dat!!! dem is jus' beautimus!!! atta boy!!! tc

thanks. trick is that you let the smoker do it's job. the only time you should open the smoker door is when you need to add more chips/wood.
    17.9 CapeHorn OffShore CC 115 Mercury Powerhouse. Furuno FCV 585, TM260, Raymarine A57D,Riptide 101 iPilot, Scotty 1117 Big Water Propack Tournament Series. She's a Killing Machine.
    Sponsored by: Delta Wood Bombers (Custom Wooden Lures), Phenix Rods, River2Sea USA, BioEdge Fishing Product, Bodega Bay Lures, Fish-N-Mate, Infinit Graphx, Pirate of the American Lure Co, StriperLife.com,TheRodCondom

Post Thanks / Like

916 jus' like 'dat!!! dem is jus' beautimus!!! atta boy!!! tc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piscolabis
    What's the trick for getting that rich smooth mahogany look on smoked salmon?

Any ideas from the experts on what I need to get that beautiful look?
    Tom
    You mean like this color? ;)

17.9 CapeHorn OffShore CC 115 Mercury Powerhouse. Furuno FCV 585, TM260, Raymarine A57D,Riptide 101 iPilot, Scotty 1117 Big Water Propack Tournament Series. She's a Killing Machine.
    Sponsored by: Delta Wood Bombers (Custom Wooden Lures), Phenix Rods, River2Sea USA, BioEdge Fishing Product, Bodega Bay Lures, Fish-N-Mate, Infinit Graphx, Pirate of the American Lure Co, StriperLife.com,TheRodCondom

Post Thanks / Like

maui mark... i figured that people would like that way. i have 2 brinkmans with the water bath and are charcoal fired. my other smoker is an old stainless steel oven of some sort and has 7 spots for oven sized racks. i installed one of my deep fryer units in there and use it to smoke as well as deep frying. ya can use anything you want and as long as it works well and it makes you happy, you win!!! tc

Post Thanks / Like

Kokaneekidtc... I am getting to like your techniques more and more! [smiley=homersimpson.gif]
    I realize the technique is more important than the actual smoker... but I'm just starting the search for the best smoker for my needs...
    Thought your suggestion had great merit! Wild Turkey has a great color, especially when complimented by sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which has a great color also... just doing my reserach on smokers. Thanks for the grin! ;D Mark ;D

Post Thanks / Like

ok Tom!!! this is the bottom line of an absolutely fool proof way to get the most beautiful color on not only the fish, but anything else you might want to cook... first of all ,depending on whichever is your strong hand, hold whatever it is that you want to have that beautiful color straight out in front of you being sure it is backlighted, then with the weak hand (and i emphacize weak) hand, hold up a bottle of kesslers or possibly some dark rum, lining the two items up to the back lighting. and, as you will immediately observe, the perfect color is instantly attained.... thus, throw out the food and enjoy the booze...and you won't have to worry about getting things just right and by the way, who cares if it gets burnt... i'm sorry but i needed to do a lighten up.... forgive me!

Post Thanks / Like

tom, i learned about kosher salt after i discovered the same too salty thing... it was horrible and i tried all sorts of things to calm it down including tons of sugar... just remember to get your fish up to the outside temp and not throw cold fish into the smoker. all of the fat comes up and settles on your fillets and will cause it to go rancid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast