Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wrap it in Cornbread!!

Didn't have time to try the chili-n-cornbread on a stick idea this weekend, ran out of time, had to get to the contest and claim my prize. Believe it or not, the chicken green chili won out over 12 different beef recipes 8-) I only made that recipe to get myself 5 cups of homemade chicken stock for the beef recipe :-?
    I did horde away some of the beef chili in the freezer to try a batch of Smokin' cornbread on a stick for an apetizer on turkey day. I'll let you know how it works.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

I would have wrapped that mars bar in bacon ;D

I think your right it was just to big of a block of ice to cook in a short time. Maybe freeze them in one of those ice makers that are designed to put in a water bottle. 8-) Did you end up trying it mankinD.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a function of shape and surface area. I think you can get by with less chili and get away from the stick idea regardless of the meat/ beans ratio. I think what will work here is making a "disk" of chili rather than a block. I think that if you used a greased (with some no stick spray) muffin tin, and only filled them half way, you might get some thing that looked more like a disk that would defrost quickly. I am thinking about a shape like a hockey puck cut in half on the edge. Or if that worked and you wanted to make a mondo version use a greased tupperware and only fill it up 3/4 of an inch, then freeze and fry. I think you have a winner here MB and you only need to massage it a little. I think this could be HUGE, and if it doesn't work out here, try it in scotland. Those guys fry anything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zfFjcgu8MM

Don't give up the dream...

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here it is, the solutionto your chili-cornbread pockets.

Everyone knows that REAL chili does not include beans. My red beef chili recipe calls for the beef be cut into 1/2" cubes (for this purpose I might cut it into 3/4" cubes). Use a bottom round cut or other working muscle cut (the conective tissue will break down nicely with the long stewing time for the chili but it will still be firm enough to hold on the skewer), then just thread the beef chunks onto shish-kabob skewers and dip in batter.

I'm actually cooking right now two chili recipes for a chili cook-off at church tonight; a Red Beef Chili and a Chicken Green Chili. I think I'll test my idea this afternoon when the chilis are done.

Doug

metalmouth

Nice try MB! ;) I'll be looking for them at the fair next fall. :-X :o ;D

Post Thanks / Like

MY KITCHEN EXPLODED!!!!!!!!! :-[

No that was not a problem but the chili did not defrost during frying. *I did take a short cut and just fried it in a pan of oil instead of deep frying it but not sure it would defrost either way. *I cooked them at low heat for as long as I could. I took the first one and microwaved it for a few min but that did not help the crust. *Still was good. *I took the others and baked them at a low heat for a while and put them in the fridge( I had to go to my daughters soccer trophy pizza party) These should be defrosted and maybe I can nuke them for a min or bake them for a while and see how they turn out. * I'm sure this can be perfected and a great Idea. *Maybe something more skinny then a Dixie cup. or freeze for less time. I think I will add cheese to my next batch 8-)

Want to know what really sux is that next year we will be at a fair and they will be serving these. *We will all say we had that idea. *That happens with all my inventions :-/

Post Thanks / Like

How much of a cut do you want Super Dave ;D Or we can start a business and you could work one fair while I work another :D Only $11.00.... I guess I better see if they even turn out first ::)

Post Thanks / Like

If this chili thing works out you might have the next state fair fun food. I mean the idea of having chili in a corn bread pocket... GENIUS! You could totally charge like 11 bucks a piece at the fair too.

Post Thanks / Like

There in the freezer ;)

metalmouth

Let me know how your frozen chili on a stick comes out! 8-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast