Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have a beef jerky recipe?

I use a jerky gun, similar to a caulking gun, and I grind up my meat. I use venison, elk, or very lean beef. Some even use chicken and turkey.
    Recipe: take 5lbs of meat, then make a marinade with 5 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cups soy sauce, 5 tsp black pepper, 1 cup of red wine, 1/4 cup brown sugar. Mix it into the meat really well, and marinate it for 12-24 hours.
    Then I pack it into my jerky gun, which makes either flat or peperoni style onto my jerky grid which usually comes with the gun, set my oven at 200 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours. The main reason I use the ground up style, is because I have false teeth and I really have to work at the regular jerky strips *;D There are many recipes online, so experiment !
    Krazybob

Post Thanks / Like

dont try to make jerky on your smoker. it would take a long time and dry out the meat. try using a weber grill with the coal to the outside and keep the heat down. works for me, but then again, i do like my weber! ;)

Post Thanks / Like

A dehydrator...I've seen those in a fishing catalog. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Shot a mule deer in Arizona last month. Buck was well into the rut and we figured the meat wouldnt be the best so we took the backstraps and tender loins for steaks and I made the rest of the deer into jerky. I did it with a dehydrator. It turned out prety good. All I used was that Hi Monutain Jerky Cure and Seasoning. I got it at sportsmans warehouse. I believe they have an assortment of flavors to chose from. I ended up gettting the Mandarin Teriaki, origonal, and Mesquete. All three turned out great! Just make sure you follow the instructions. I used a little bit to much cure and seasoning for the amount of meat and it turned out a bit salty. But still excelent! Give it a try.

Striperman

Post Thanks / Like

Have a beef jerky recipe?

I'm picking up a smoker this weekend and I've heard that it can also be used for making beef jerky. Anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks,
    FG