Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack of lamb

metalmouth

Re: Rack of lamb

I think my problem was lack of familiarity with some of the spice combinations. The blood sausage gave me heartburn about 2 seconds after I swallowed it. :-/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMouth
    I've attended those feasts at a girlfriends parents house right before the Falklands War. They were from Argentina. I think I'm sticking with a good old Fillet Mignon! Some of that stuff is not quite the end of the cow I want to be sticking with a fork. ;D
    I don't know MetalMouth. I actually miss some of that stuff. And many of then can't be found in my local butcher store. Nothing wrong with fillet mignon, but I like some variety for a change. And yes, I go and enjoy a menudo occasionally. :'( ;D

metalmouth

I've attended those feasts at a girlfriends parents house right before the Falklands War. They were from Argentina. I think I'm sticking with a good old Fillet Mignon! Some of that stuff is not quite the end of the cow I want to be sticking with a fork. ;D

Post Thanks / Like

"Parillada" is actually a Patagonian, or Argentine, feast with many grilled meats, blood sausage, and "variety" meats (such a dainty expression... ;D). It is made in Chile and Peru as well, and the ingredients vary according to the animal at hand. We had one for New Year's Eve at my sister's in Miami, cooked by her Chilean husband. Too yummy! (yes, even the strange stuff) ::)

Meat, 2 fiery hot sauces, salad, and excellent Chilean Cab! Way to see the old year out! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstressor
    "Parillada" is the upper intestine from a milk fed lamb. The chef has to know where the milk stops and the poop starts. :-/
    I thought that was from cow intestines???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinfisher
    Sorry to disagree, MM, lamb kidneys are good - way better than beef or even veal kidneys. And tongue (of lamb or any sort) are really excellent. Try anise-cooked, chinese style, fr instance (oh, that is pronounced AN-is ;))

Sweetbreads, I've had once, and they were ok, but not too interesting. And, yeah, brains... I tried to make them once and was not happy with the result, but then, I also didn't really know what I was doing.

The intestines (not tripe - intestines, with contents...) are scary [smiley=yikes.gif], but I had some in an Argentine style "Parillada", and, you know, if you trust the chef ::), they're good.
    LOL, and I thought all you guys eat was fish! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

BTW what are sweetbreads?

Post Thanks / Like

"Parillada" is the upper intestine from a milk fed lamb. The chef has to know where the milk stops and the poop starts. :-/

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to disagree, MM, lamb kidneys are good - way better than beef or even veal kidneys. And tongue (of lamb or any sort) are really excellent. Try anise-cooked, chinese style, fr instance (oh, that is pronounced AN-is ;))

Sweetbreads, I've had once, and they were ok, but not too interesting. And, yeah, brains... I tried to make them once and was not happy with the result, but then, I also didn't really know what I was doing.

The intestines (not tripe - intestines, with contents...) are scary [smiley=yikes.gif], but I had some in an Argentine style "Parillada", and, you know, if you trust the chef ::), they're good.

metalmouth

Amen Frank! Lamb has a different appearance than beef when cooked. Slightly pink is medium to medium well and you have over cooked it. Lamb should be seared on a hot fire so that the meat is done on the outside and pink clear through. Not red and wiggling, but pink.

Post Thanks / Like

My heritage is a long line of Scots' and lamb has been a main stay in our diet forever, my brother still has a flock. The big key to cooking lamb above everything else is DON'T OVER COOK IT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast