Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who makes scallops

Being a mamber of the everything is better with bacon club. My recipe is very similar to Rats with just a few differences.

first bake your bacon in the oven until it is about half done.(otherwise if you grill it long enough to fully cook raw bacon the scallops will be over cooked)

Next mix equal parts Old Bay seasoning and brown sugar. *Roll the scallops in this mix then wrap in the bacon and skewer. *Then grill. *I'm not sure if anybody else has mentioned, but it is very important not to OVER COOK scallops!! * Enjoy

This is also very good with large shrimpminstead of scallops.

As mentioned above if you are using bamboo skewers make sure to soak them in water to keep them from burning up.

Post Thanks / Like

I par boil them, then throw 'em into a hot pan of really rich creamy white wine sauce!!! Quick, easy and tasty!!! I usually do it as a side dish to salmon which can be done the same way!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You can tell from the getgo...fishyguy is on top of it......

chop this and set aside, mix this and set aside....

great way to take on scallops...I'll give it a try!! ;)

If I can set the stuff aside between beers ;D

Post Thanks / Like

i like to wrap them with bacon.skewer them .and grill them.salt /pepper and baste with some melted butter/garlic. mmmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I recently bought some large (2-3") scallops from Safeway. They were prettty thick so I cut a small pocket in them and filled them with a bay shrimp and lime stuffing I made. I then put them on the BBQ, just browning the outside to NOT overcook them.

Drizzle with a nice lemon olive oil after they are done.

Something else you might find if you search for recipes is soaking them in milk for a bit, which helps to make sure they do not get tough if you happen to slightly over cook them.

In Australia, there is so much fresh shellfish and crustacians...just love them!

Sydney James

metalmouth

Quote Originally Posted by SwimswithFishes
    You can also simply sautee them. Use butter and garlic in a frying pan and then sautee each side of the scallop for no more thatn 5 minutes on each side. Simple and very tasty.
    I like them sautéed as well. Use a little oil with your butter so that you get a higher smoking point. This will allow you to quick sear them on the outside without over cooking them.

MM

Post Thanks / Like

You can also simply sautee them. Use butter and garlic in a frying pan and then sautee each side of the scallop for no more thatn 5 minutes on each side. Simple and very tasty.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to grill my scallops.
    Ditto....
    Now I have something to do.....
    ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that sounds pretty awesome. I like to grill my scallops.

Soak some bamboo skewers in water for an hour or two while you prepare various things to put on them. I like to use scallops, prawns, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc. Oh, and grease up your grill.

Impale your ingredents, season to taste and grill! A great sauce I like to use is to mix honey, dijon mustard, a small dash of seasame oil, and seasame seeds. Put it on after you have grilled the kabobs.

As fishyguy noted, it is really important not to overcook scallops. For this reason, it is sometimes better to put your scallops and prawns on seperate skewers than your veggies, as it takes onions and bell peppers longer to cook than scallops.

Man, am I hungry now!

Post Thanks / Like

My dad owned 3 restaurants before he retired and I learned to cook from him.

There are many recipies but I only know how to cook them Asian style, which is to stir-fry. The most important thing when cooking scallops is to never over-cook them. They get very tough if you do.

Here's a simple recipe, but the cooking part may be a bit tricky.

In a small bowl mix together about 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce, a bit of black pepper, a bit of salt, and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Stir in about 1/2 cup of water and about a 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Stir mixture well and put aside.

Mince several cloves of garlic and set aside.
    Slice some raw ginger and set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and throw in the scallops (about 1lb)
    Stir constantly and when the scallops begin to turn white, (about 15 to 30 seconds) drain the water. The idea is not to boil them till they're done, but to cook them just a bit so it will be easier to stir fry. If you stir fry them only without pre-boiling, it will take too long to stir fry and the exterior will be overcooked while the inside is still raw.

Heat the wok or frying pan till it is very hot and add about a tablespoon of veggie oil. Make sure the pan is hot enough before adding the scallops or they will stick to the pan. You can tell if it is hot enough when you see the oil begins to smoke.

Throw in the garlic and ginger and stir for about 10 seconds..don't let them burn. Now throw in the scallops and keep stirring. Stir fry anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute or longer (depending on how long you had boiled them) Check to see if they are almost done by cutting one in half. You should not cook it till fully done at this point because you will add the mixture which has water and will boil immediately when you put it in the wok.

When the scallops are about 90% done, throw in the cornstarch mixture and stir quickly till it the sauce thickens and remove from the heat immediately or you'll have scallops with the texture of rubber ;D

Here's the tricky part: The water/cornstarch amount is tricky because it depends on how much scallops you have and how long you let the scallops cook with the mixture. The cornstarch is just to thicken the sauce so if you boil the mixture longer, the water will evaporate, leaving you with a thicker sauce. On the other hand, if you use too much cornstarch, the sauce will be too thick. What I do is to have a mixture of just water and cornstarch ready next to me and if I see that the sauce is too thin, I stir in some of that mixture. On the other hand, also have some plain boiling water next to you in case the sauce is too thick, you can thin it by adding a bit of water.

Stir fry cooking seafood is very tricky and takes a bit of trial and error, but to me, it is the best way to make scallops. Some folks like to bake them, but they turn out dry.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast