Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any tips for a rookie .. banking with Senkos...

senko can be fished many ways find the one which you prefer

option's are

Weightless
    Weighted
    Wacky rigged
    Texas rigged
    Carolina rigged
    Drop shot rig

ect...............

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents. I fish Senkos and do pretty well. Bigger fish than my drop shot for sure. Usually watermelon with black flakes. Texas rigged with the hook tip under the skin is the way to go. +1 for gently lifting your senko out of weeds. quick pulls will yank the hook tip out and you don't want that catching in toolies. Also, more likely to jump out of surface weeds and wrap around something if pulled quickly. When I work them it's cast out, let it sink. The majority of the bites I get are while the worm is falling. I'll work it kind of like stairs. Quick jigs (not hard), maybe 10 doink doink doink doink etc...lifting up on the rod as you do it without reeling in, then stop and let it fall. As it's falling, count to 6-7 or so as you lower your tip and after you count to 3-4 start slowly reel in the slack. Slow enough as you go down so the worm still sinks straight down. When I get a hit, usually the fish takes it and I don't yank right away. a bit of waiting to feel/see the movement in my line without pulling and a bit of slack to get the fish to get it in it's mouth. Then I set the sh** out it to get the hook out of the worm skin. I like the straighter worm hooks rather than the rounder hooks. No real reason. I like the motion of the worm better Here's a pick. I've done much better this way than the slow steady retrieving.

Last edited by ngt; 08-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I say try a rattle trap or even better a drop shot. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Another tip is to very gently pull your bait free of a weedy entanglement. If it does come free just as soon as its free put slack back in your line let it settle, tick..

sometimes during the summer the bass want a heavy jig ripped and aggressively popped through grass.

the finesse approach gets em and this approach work with bank fishing. If you start to get them to bite you'll realize that there's fish everywhere.

If your fishing the delta fish the weeds. Where there's weeds there's fish.

put your fish back or I'll be the rookie asking for hunting advise. Also be careful with the senko, they have ruined many a good fisherman. Senkos are additional tools not the only tool

find a nice hole and keep it wet. Enjoy the outdoors

It's never good enough hrairguitar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlnkBass View Post
    Thank you gentleman for the tips!

I am using Texas rig.. The issue is with the weed at the bottom. once the worm settles at the bottom, it snags as you reel it in.
    I just found that you could have the tip of the hook just slightly hook inside the worm. that might help reduce some snag. i'm gonna give it a try next time I m out there again.

Thanks all for the info. Happy fishing........

BlnkBass
    Experiment with that. If you bury the hook in the senko too much then you'll miss a lot of fish. The further you bury it then the harder hookset you'll need. I personally use worms that are more skinny when fishing weedy areas. I can bury the hook point to keep snags down but because the worm is skinny and softer it doesn't effect my hooksets like the regular thick senkos. I use robo worms, senko pros and senko thins and slims.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you gentleman for the tips!

I am using Texas rig.. The issue is with the weed at the bottom. once the worm settles at the bottom, it snags as you reel it in.
    I just found that you could have the tip of the hook just slightly hook inside the worm. that might help reduce some snag. i'm gonna give it a try next time I m out there again.

Thanks all for the info. Happy fishing........

BlnkBass

Post Thanks / Like

Even in stained water Bass can usually see ten feet and "Feel" movement ten feet away
    so I see no reason for you to go to the bottom all the time..................
    they will know something is in their hood.
    You might also try out a top water or suspending lures to up your odds....... even though
    plastic does catch a lot of fish.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

How are you rigging the senko? Texas rig and skin hooking will help some with the weed.

As for working it, there is no wrong way as long as you present it to the fish. With that said, weeds blankets the Delta this time of the year. However, there are still small pockets and holes everywhere. It is the obvious, but put it in those pockets and holes since you are fishing weightless senkos. Drop it on those holes and let it slowly sink to the bottom on slack line. Then give it a pop and let it drop then move on to the next hole. Beside that, there is no way the weightless senko could penetrate the weeds where it could be effective.

There is a technique called punching that is used to crash through heavy weeds. It is essentially a Texas rig with heavy tungsten weight, up to 2 oz. But that will require a big flipping/punching rod and a reel with heavy drag.

Post Thanks / Like

Any tips for a rookie .. banking with Senkos...

Hi, rookie here.. trying to experiment with senkos (weightless) and was wondering if anyone can give me some tips. I've been fishing from bank in the slough area and I've use senko only once. Not successful at all and still trying to learn the tricks. There are some questions I hope someone can help me out. I really appreciated the info anyone can give.
    *after casting, do you let the senko sink to the bottom before lifting your rod and reel in slowly.. a bit at a time?
    The reason I asked is at the slough. there are lots of weeds on the bottom. 99.9% of the time the hook will snag the weed when I lifted the rod and reel it in. Once it's snag by weed, I have to reel all the way in and re-cast. There was once a bite, but I didn't know, thought it was snag from the weed. By the time I recognized it's a bite rather than a snag. it was too late.
    * any way round not getting snag..? don't let the senko falls to the bottom.. lifting the rod and reel in before it hit the bottom?
    thanks in advance.. appreciated for any info.

BlnkBass