Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lightning strikes set to double in frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by mtn. man View Post
    In a rather strange and long term way, it kind of does relate.

The extreme heat of a lightning arc causes the natural nitrogen in the air to fixate to the moisture in the air. It then falls to the ground in the form of rain, this helps fertilize the soils.

These fertilized soils, especially the soils around our fisheries, help produce the natural vegetation, etc... needed to help insure the survival of fish like salmon that spawn and then need the surroundings to grow into those beautiful chromers we all love.

Or something like that...........
    Close enough..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Cool but whats the connection to fisheries science?

In a rather strange and long term way, it kind of does relate.

The extreme heat of a lightning arc causes the natural nitrogen in the air to fixate to the moisture in the air. It then falls to the ground in the form of rain, this helps fertilize the soils.

These fertilized soils, especially the soils around our fisheries, help produce the natural vegetation, etc... needed to help insure the survival of fish like salmon that spawn and then need the surroundings to grow into those beautiful chromers we all love.

Or something like that...........
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nvthis View Post
    Predicting the lightning, eh? My weather guy can't even tell me what's happening in 3 days with any certainty.
    They don't need to predict the exact day and time of a lightning strike to know that there will be xx% more in total...just like if you were on a long drive in the summer with your menopausal wife and/or kids, and you don't have air conditioning and the windows won't open - you know for sure that if you don''t get those windows open there's going to be a lot more thunder and lightning, you just don't know exactly when. ;-)

...and btw, there's little certainty in daily weather forecasting, but if you get it from the right place it's amazingly accurate!

TB

Post Thanks / Like

Some of you might find this interesting Lightning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nvthis View Post
    Predicting the lightning, eh? My weather guy can't even tell me what's happening in 3 days with any certainty.
    You must watch channel 3 news lol.
    Channel 13 Dave Bender knows best.

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool but whats the connection to fisheries science?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightning strikes set to double in frequency.

Earlier I posted that lightning strikes are set to increase by 50% more (Climate change could cause more U.S. lightning strikes) , the latest report from Discovery News states that lighning strikes are about to double in a few decades. Expect increasing frequency each year.

So fellow anglers, be doubly careful out there when fishing not only in boats in vast bodies of water but also on shores when thunderclouds are a-brewing.

We just don't Sniff our Fish, We Smoke them too!