Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spin Fishing is Cheating?

I love to fly fish, especially Pyramid Lake and the Truckee River, but sometimes the conditions are way better to use spinning gear, and a lot bigger fish can be caught. After my Dad recently caught an 18 pound Cutty from Pyramid using a popcorn beetle (a fly) with a spin rod, we were told by a nearby fly fisherman that it didn't count because he used a spin rod and was cheating. It really ticked me off because a lot of elitist fly fisherman think that fly fishing is the only way to fish, and the only ethical way. We safely released the fish back and have never kept any fish at Pyramid with spin or fly gear, and we're using barbless hooks. So what's the big deal of spin fishing? I like to fish how I want to, and what I think will be most productive at the time. Any thoughts?

2. Likes Paintguy, BrotherWilliams liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spin Fishing is Cheating?

Shake it off.. The guy was a bozo.

4. Likes Trickytrucker, BrotherWilliams liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoneSomewhereElse View Post
    Shake it off.. The guy was a bozo.
    +1. Does not count as what? Sounds like sour grapes and the guy is a half-wit. It is more fun fighting the fish on a fly rod but the fly is the same. I have seen many "old timer" fly fishermen who no longer can wield the fly rod and thus fish flies with a spinning rod since they still prefer to catch the fish on a fly.

6. Likes Stickman, burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheating at Pyramid would be using live bait, you need to be a tribal member to do that. I know a couple of top notch fly guys who use spinning setups to draw a crowd of fish schooling, they then cast into the mass to catch the big ones. A bunch of pigs drag the bottom as well to eat the chubs that swim the bottom, I'm just sayin'..........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

8. Likes BrotherWilliams, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    Cheating at Pyramid would be using live bait, you need to be a tribal member to do that. I know a couple of top notch fly guys who use spinning setups to draw a crowd of fish schooling, they then cast into the mass to catch the big ones. A bunch of pigs drag the bottom as well to eat the chubs that swim the bottom, I'm just sayin'..........Jetspray
    Yeah a couple years ago at Popcorn my dad and I fished the whole day with flies and lures and only caught three, and two tribal members show up using live tui chubs and catch two 10 pounders in 5 minutes. Blew my mind. I caught a 5 pound cutty while reeling in a six inch tui chub once, crazy stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it is. It's the only thing is use.

Post Thanks / Like

i disagree

Post Thanks / Like

I fish with a fly rod, Tenkara rod, spinning rod, with Power Bait, with lures, or anything else, depending on what the situation calls for. Fish with what you want and have a good time.

13. Likes Paintguy, BrotherWilliams liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreman View Post
    I fish with a fly rod, Tenkara rod, spinning rod, with Power Bait, with lures, or anything else, depending on what the situation calls for. Fish with what you want and have a good time.
    Can't use bait in Pyramid. Artificial/Barbless only.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I have been cheating all my life then LOL. Use whatever catches you fish

-Xzi

16. Likes Paintguy, BrotherWilliams liked this post
Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast