Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many fishing rods and hooks can I use when sport fishing in the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Wrong, unless you are ROCKFISHING, this is taken directly from the regs. "Any number of hooks and lines may be used to take finfish in all ocean waters"

Most of the bays have restrictions.

Never rely on what somebody says on the internet, it will not fly with the warden.

use the DF&W website (
    https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/) , or a reg booklet.

Me too BigUnInDaBoat I read the booklet and I tell him in ocean water doesn't many how rods, he listen to me and he got the ticket.
    I am waiting my friend to go the court to see what the judge handle this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luke5150 View Post
    Yup only one rod UNLESS fishing from a pier or jetty.

Wrong, unless you are ROCKFISHING, this is taken directly from the regs. "Any number of hooks and lines may be used to take finfish in all ocean waters"

Most of the bays have restrictions.

Never rely on what somebody says on the internet, it will not fly with the warden.

use the DF&W website (
    https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/) , or a reg booklet.

Last edited by BigUnInDaBoat; 01-21-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivefish View Post
    If I am not wrong, I remember you can allow only one pole on all ocean water except certain fishing pier you can use two poles.
    Yup only one rod UNLESS fishing from a pier or jetty.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am not wrong, I remember you can allow only one pole on all ocean water except certain fishing pier you can use two poles.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the second rod closely attended? It can't be propped up in a rod holder down the beach from his location.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing for perch only no salmon or rock

Post Thanks / Like

Did he have any salmon or rockfish or say he was fishing for salmon or rockfish?

Post Thanks / Like

Since he was fishing off the beach and not the pier, he needs to have the second rod enhancement on his license. Other than that I don't know of any specific regs for the Monterey area that ban the use of two rods.

Edit: Nope I am wrong, the second rod enhancement is only for inland waters. So not sure why your friend got a citation there...
    Last edited by ucsbfisherman; 01-15-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish How many fishing rods and hooks can I use when sport fishing in the ocean?

I don't know if I am wrong, my Friend fishing @ Monterey Beach with 2 fishing rod go citation for second rod. I read the rule Any number of hooks and fishing lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays.

Anyone understand what they mean.

Any number of hooks and fishing lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays with the following exceptions:

• You can only use one line with no more than three hooks while fishing in San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez Bridge.
    • When you are fishing from a public pier you can use only two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two crab nets, crab traps or other appliances used to take crabs.
    • When you are fishing for rockfish or lingcod or you have rockfish or lingcod aboard your boat, you can only use one line with no more than two hooks.
    • If you are fishing north of Point Conception for salmon or have salmon on board your boat, you can only use one rod and line with no more than two single barbless hooks (check current salmon regulations for other hook restrictions).

Ref. Section 28.65.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12