Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minnow Hole 5/30/2016

Quote Originally Posted by chinook2 View Post
    Was your grandfather (the one you mentioned sold darts in the 60s) named Phil? I bought quite a few darts at the Minnow Hole from an older gentleman named Phil in those days and some from Fireman Jim. Unfortunatley, Jim died of a heart attack many years ago. Don't know what happened to Phil as I later started doing most of my shad fishing from a boat and never saw him again............
    Thanks for your posts; they bring back some good memories.
    No, his name was John. Many years before I was born, though. Those darts are now sitting in my dad's garage. We have no shortage!

Post Thanks / Like

Was your grandfather (the one you mentioned sold darts in the 60s) named Phil? I bought quite a few darts at the Minnow Hole from an older gentleman named Phil in those days and some from Fireman Jim. Unfortunatley, Jim died of a heart attack many years ago. Don't know what happened to Phil as I later started doing most of my shad fishing from a boat and never saw him again............
    Thanks for your posts; they bring back some good memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. Hopefully the shad will keep coming through for another couple of weeks. Those Dick Nite spoons do work well when sitting and letting the current do the work.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool to see them still being caught in sac. The gf wants to go on the boat soon so that might be a solid bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post and fish. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Minnow Hole 5/30/2016

I made another boat trip just below the Minnow Hole with my dad on Monday. This time the action was a lot slower, but we still managed 7 shad by 10:00 am. We lost one, and missed another six bites.

This time around I tied up some dropper setups with cross line swivels instead of using the surf rigs. This seemed to improve on the line twist.

The big surprise was that 6 of the 8 hookups were on a small Dick Nite kokanee spoon. It was chartreuse and pink (see photo). I just slowly lowered the rig to the bottom and the spoon fluttered in the current about 24 inches off the bottom. No jigging or anything.

I did jig one rod all morning for one fish on a green grub, but that was it. The spoon rod hooked almost everything. When the rod slammed down in the holder, I would just reel fast in the rod holder until it loaded up to set the hook.

Depth: 18 feet
    Location: Minnow Hole (south end of Riverside Blvd.) Sacramento River
    Tide: Outgoing
    Weather: hot
    Lure: Small Dick Nite spoon on dropper 24 inches above bottom

The hot setup was this Dick Nite spoon allowed to flutter in the current

Here is a nice one

Two fish