Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Robinson Creek Trout and Kokes

Sounds like a pissin match to me .

Post Thanks / Like

The west carson near the 89 & 88 intersection, is that where the bridge is & guys roll down their windows on their pickups & cast from the cab cuz they don't want to stray too far from their kegs? No thanks. I'd rather hoof it into round lake which yields all the cutts I need for the frying pan, after their heads & tails are removed cuz they are too darn big to fit. Can't take a 6 pac that far unless you're in good shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahpee View Post
    Upper truckee in late September, I bet the action is unbelievable! P.S. Dying salmon near spawn mode don't eat....period!
    The Upper Truckee sucks so don't come up hear and fish it because it's not worth it unless you want to catch bass. Go to the west Carson at Picketts Junction if you want to catch fish. It's only 10 minutes more of a drive. I'm no biologist and always assumed the same until I witnessed what I did, so I guess they mouthed those bugs and spit them out. Either way it doesn't matter so again if you didn't like how I fished that day to bad. Maybe you should get out and actually fish instead of being an e-angler or computer fisherman.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MKE; 10-03-2018 at 03:33 PM.

4. Likes muledeer12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahpee View Post
    Upper truckee in late September, I bet the action is unbelievable! P.S. Dying salmon near spawn mode don't eat....period!

Thank you for that articulate, insightful and highly informative dissertation...... If we could just figure out a way to land a float plane in there too, we'd be in business...

6. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by sarahpee; 10-03-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

They may not be feeding, but they will still snap at things as a reaction. Salmon of all species have been seen eating drifting eggs, it is assumed by biologists as an evolutionary action to attempt to prevent "chum" trails in the rivers that attract egg eating predators.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were snagging I would've landed a thousand or more instead of three on this trip. Yes they do eat at times when up stream I witnessed some eating midges at times and a few crippled caddis. But the trout are eating eggs.
    It's not just Taylor Creek that's closed it's all tributaries to Lake Tahoe as of September 30th! I fished the Upper Truckee in my back yard Sunday for the last time this year. You may not agree with how I fished that day but to bad. I live up here and know the regs unlike you.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

10. Likes muledeer12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well a couple corrections, he isn't actually catching the kokes, he's snagging them, some peeps get a thrill doing this. They have ceased eating, and devote everything to spawning. Even if he gets them in the mouth, it's just because the line runs across the snout, this same technique of snagging is used on the American River hole when the salmon stack up, yes it is real exciting dragging a fish ashore when it's hooked in the back. Kind of like shooting a lion in a cage. A statement about Tahoe tribs being open until the end of the month, everything but Taylor creek is open.
    Last edited by sarahpee; 10-02-2018 at 08:29 PM.

12. Dislikes muledeer12 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GR8ANGLER View Post
    It may or not be legal but is it a good fishing practice? I just ask the question, you have to decide that for yourself. Catching fish pre-spawn may cause mortality which would mean a degradation of the quantity and quality of the fish in that system. How many fry hatches from one healthy adult? If the fishery degrades to the point where it is made illegal, how many decades will it take to regenerate?
    Valid questions, but if you read the original post, the target was trout feeding in the area. Kokanee weren't the target, and trout weren't spawning. Miniaturized version of steelhead fishing riffles below spawning salmon in a river.

Certainly appropriate to take care in such situations, not wading through redds or targeting spawning fish, but by-catch is a real thing. Would be nice to use barbless hooks, catch and rease friendly nets and keep fish in the water. If you look at the pics that's exactly what was done.

I'm the first in-line to promote ethical fishing practices. Even flustered a few folks on the subject, but this is not one of those situations in my opinion. Educating folks and advocating good practices is never a bad thing. Uninformed *****ing and griping????? Then again, I'm probably member of that club too...

14. Likes MtnFisher, dilbeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It may or not be legal but is it a good fishing practice? I just ask the question, you have to decide that for yourself. Catching fish pre-spawn may cause mortality which would mean a degradation of the quantity and quality of the fish in that system. How many fry hatches from one healthy adult? If the fishery degrades to the point where it is made illegal, how many decades will it take to regenerate?

16. Likes Tedpole liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast