Post Thanks / Like

Re: Artificial reefs

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    I'd always hoped that they would take the Mothball Fleet outside and sink them to create some nice reefs but the state had a different plan.
    Rather than shutting down fishing over our reefs (with MLPA's), what should have happened was to create many more reefs and expand our fish stocks. The fish stocks could be protected through our regs (like they always have been) by rotating which reefs are open throughout the year. Unfortunately, common sense runs pretty thin whenever the federal government gets involved.
    Brother Hotdog long time how are you?

Post Thanks / Like

The mothball fleet is like a floating warehouse. Prior to decommissioning, everything is brought up to full operating standards and then placed into a stored state. This allows them to be reactivated in minimal time if they are ever needed again. Occasionally, a ship becomes unseaworthy and is then removed from the mothball fleet and either scraped, sold to a foreign government or towed out to sea and used as a target or test platform.

I decommissioned 6 ships during my 20 plus years and had the rare opportunity of recommissoning, serving aboard and then decommissioning the USS New Jersey BB-62.

3. Likes Yearroundfisherman, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    I'd always hoped that they would take the Mothball Fleet outside and sink them to create some nice reefs but the state had a different plan.
    Rather than shutting down fishing over our reefs (with MLPA's), what should have happened was to create many more reefs and expand our fish stocks. The fish stocks could be protected through our regs (like they always have been) by rotating which reefs are open throughout the year. Unfortunately, common sense runs pretty thin whenever the federal government gets involved.
    if they acted like they had a brain, they get them for smuggling bat sh@t.
    be safe

Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes Waterdog, CAL.NDN liked this post
    Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Artificial reefs

I'm heading to this
    It's from 2-5, not ideal for you 9-5 types

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk