Post Thanks / Like

Re: Registration Fees

I had a bad experience registering my kayak with a motor back in 2012. They almost charged me almost close to $200 because the sales date of the kayak was a year before I decided to add the motor so they charged a ridiculous "late registration fee".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    Aside from annual registration, you also have to pay increased launch fees everywhere for registered vessels. A $12 trip to folsom becomes $24. $20+ at Camanche. Even county launches charge a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In Santa Clara county you have to pay to "launch" an inner tube. Any inner tube, and it needs to be inspected. And if you camp you have to pay it every day. Good ol' Cali :(

You can't even use an inner tube on most lakes here anyways. Can't wait to get out of here again - I just moved back to the bay area and I ain't liking it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    Aside from annual registration, you also have to pay increased launch fees everywhere for registered vessels. A $12 trip to folsom becomes $24. $20+ at Camanche. Even county launches charge a premium.

If you use a Corp or Engineers operated lake you can buy the annual pass for 40.00.

If you're 62 or older you may want to consider a lifetime senior pass for 20.00. Check out what it covers and it may result in additional discounts for camping, launching, etc. https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

If you're not 62, 80.00 will get you an annual pass for the same things as the senior pass. https://store.usgs.gov/pass

If you're disabled there is a free lifetime pass for you. https://store.usgs.gov/access-pass

Read what is available and what the passes cover. Sometimes it's worthless and sometimes it may save you a few bucks above and beyond the initial cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

I was on the dmv page, but on a section a little higher than this. It was confusing, this is pretty straight forward. I would have thought the registration was based on the value of the boat as well. Looks like a yacht is the same as a canoe.

Thanks again.

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Registration Fees

So I'm thinking about registering my canoe for a trolling motor. Anybody have any input on what their yearly fees and initial fees are in California.