Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HWY 88/89 lake action?

Fished at Caples on Saturday.
    Caught a 2 macs trolling at 35 ft. Didn't see or talk to anyone catching any rainbows. Maybe after the plant. Heading there again today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whalonem View Post
    Well I would not waste my time at Silver unless you were fishing with bait from shore. In the last two outings, one this morning, I trolled for nine hours and caught only four 9 inch planters and were they extremely ugly. I here Caples is just as bad for trollers. You all should be calling the nimbus hatchery and voicing your displeasure!!!!! For the past two summers both Silver and Caples did not produce in quantity until around the first of Sept. My question is how can Alpine County stock at normal levels with quality fish while Eldorado and Amador cannot. The answer is that the production from Nimbus is a big waste of time and money. They need new blood and a new mission statement "learn how to grow quality fish without killing them"!!!!!!! Whalonem
    +1. Alpine County lives or dies on summer tourists. CDFW plants are few and the fish sub par. Alpine spends $$$ on private plants especially in the E. and W. Carson. The County makes sure there good populations of nice trout around their two major towns Woodfords and Markleeville.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

The macs have been there longer than the transplant, but now they have taken over. I live in Pioneer and have been fishing Silver Lake for years. Macs took over after the transplant. I watched Fish and Game and some volunteers transplant some very large macs into Silver when they drained Caples. The browns and rainbow trout declined about (3) years after the transplant. Not the same lake. I have not caught a brown there for about 4 years.

4. Likes CrappieJed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hammerdog View Post
    Silver Lake has been on the decline ever since they transplanted Macks from Caples several years back when they repaired Caples. It has not been the same lake. Before that transplant, I would catch some very nice Browns about 2-3 weeks after the lake thawed. It was survival of the fittest and I think the Macks won.
    Silver lake has had macks in it a lot longer than that. The littler ones are fairly easy to catch with small baits trolled near the bottom in deeper water. Trick is doing it without getting bogged down with weeds. Try to stay about 10 feet above bottom and check gear regularly.

Maybe not everyone's favorite, but there are fish to be had.

6. Likes OYD liked this post
    Dislikes CrappieJed disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hammerdog View Post
    Silver Lake has been on the decline ever since they transplanted Macks from Caples several years back when they repaired Caples. It has not been the same lake. Before that transplant, I would catch some very nice Browns about 2-3 weeks after the lake thawed. It was survival of the fittest and I think the Macks won.
    Not just silver caples has never been the same since draining it & red lake was poisened & is not what it was either.

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On 88. Both Caples and Red are set to be stocked by CDFW next week. Woods lake was stocked this week.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes Captain Compassion, CrappieJed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience at Caples and Silver has been sad the past few years. Started fishing Caples about 10-12 years ago when my kids were pretty young. They routinely stocked great fish. Trolling was consistently good by the dam or spillway. When kids got bored if trolling was slow, we still fished with pb and they were excited and catching good looking fish. We spend a few weeks in Tahoe area each summer and catch fewer and fewer fish each of the past few years. Nobody I talk to on the dock is bringing in many. Love the scenery and wildlife but wish there were fish in those lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I would not waste my time at Silver unless you were fishing with bait from shore. In the last two outings, one this morning, I trolled for nine hours and caught only four 9 inch planters and were they extremely ugly. I here Caples is just as bad for trollers. You all should be calling the nimbus hatchery and voicing your displeasure!!!!! For the past two summers both Silver and Caples did not produce in quantity until around the first of Sept. My question is how can Alpine County stock at normal levels with quality fish while Eldorado and Amador cannot. The answer is that the production from Nimbus is a big waste of time and money. They need new blood and a new mission statement "learn how to grow quality fish without killing them"!!!!!!! Whalonem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    Went out to Blue Lakes area this last Sunday for some snowboarding in the morning and found this on a small creek on the snowline when I was done.
    All the lakes out there are full as expected.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Great looking fish

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast