Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proposed lower american river (nimbus basin to usgs survey cable) closure 2018

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    "remember the closure of the salmon fishing for those 4-5 years? when it reopened, was the fishing any better? did the numbers improve? not one bit."

Uhm... after the closure the population of fall run salmon hit went from 72,000 to 480,000. I think the numbers improved slightly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

okay, perhaps I spoke outta my butt regarding the numbers. I just remember the river fishing was no better than before the ban and made the leap that equated to low numbers. I apologize. where did you find the numbers? I've looked for year by year totals and cant seem to find them.

so, do you think the fishing ban was effective at improving the counts or was there more to it? maybe we should ban 'em indefinitely again, if fishing is the root of dwindling numbers.
    Last edited by Mr.Fletcher; 07-31-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proposed lower american river (nimbus basin to usgs survey cable) closure 2018

"remember the closure of the salmon fishing for those 4-5 years? when it reopened, was the fishing any better? did the numbers improve? not one bit."

Uhm... after the closure the population of fall run salmon hit went from 72,000 to 480,000. I think the numbers improved slightly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbead View Post
    If that's what it takes to get rid of snaggers then so be it. They are a bunch of obnoxious unethical littering slobs. Condoning their actions under the terminal fisheries label is ludicrous. If people are worried tat these fish will just go to waste then have the state net them and give them to food banks. Rather see that done than have these snaggers make a mockery of our fishing regulations.

completely unfair and inaccurate. true, there are those who will stop at nothing to poach fish. yes, there are litterbugs and I've encountered some real a-holes on the river, too. you'll find these people everywhere. the group of fellas I fish with do more to enforce the regs and keep the place clean than the state of California or probably even you, for that matter. we all fish completely within the regulations, as do most of the others I've met on the river bank. perhaps you should join us sometime and see for yourself. nobody is "making a mockery" of anything- (except maybe each other). truly, the most common reason I've seen for rule violations is ignorance of the law. passing more of 'em isn't going to help that one little bit.

what i'm saying is, don't condemn us all for the acts of a minority few and don't endorse more laws as a solution to the problems they create. isn't there enough of that going on already? I, for one, rather than imposing my will on others, choose to improve the world by example. it's slow, but in the long term I hope it'll have a lasting impact on conditions for the generations to come.

rant complete.
    Last edited by Mr.Fletcher; 07-31-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Bunch of BS. I've caught plenty of fish in the upper on spinners. It's a HATCHERY RIVER. This isn't the olympic peninsula or the skeena. Closing off fishing areas will only push angling pressure onto other areas. Ridiculous proposals. Congrats on creating a new habitat for squawfish breeding and all of the research crews that can feel good about themselves throwing some gravel into the river for a population of fish that are going to be driven to extinction by the current CA fake environmentalists and Federal agencies that would trade all of the natural rivers and fish in the country for $12 if it came down to it.

Nothing more than a feel good project and another effort to divide the angling communities while we're all robbed blind and the fisheries and nature are further raped.
    once again, you're spot on with your analysis. those salmon were doomed the minute man decided to "care" for em after damming access to their natural breeding grounds. heck, look at the sacramento river- it's nothing more than a glorified ditch in sacramento county. now how is a baby salmon gonna run that gauntlet of stripers, out through the bay and then survive to maturity? its absolutely mind-blowing we have any at all. as dsa pointed out, under the current system.....consider them extinct. money patiently trumps fish every time. the long term damage is incalculable. i'm planning on being at the dfw commission meeting. if you all really care about fishing and your right to have fish to fish for, you'll be there too.

remember the closure of the salmon fishing for those 4-5 years? when it reopened, was the fishing any better? did the numbers improve? not one bit. i'd say that vindicates fishing as having a significant impact on the salmon population, wouldn't you? further restrictions on anglers is a weak attempt at drawing attention away from the real villains. no question there are those who cant wait for the salmon to be gone forever, its just another step closer to unrestricted water profits.

i'm okay with the 6 foot leader rule. they could go 3 foot for all I care. there wont be many fish left to floss anyway at the rate were goin. it's sad, really. this is the one time of year I really look forward to. i'm grateful I managed to see the last two years of epic river fishing, in the early 90s. unfortunately, that is fast becoming a distant memory- it was a long time ago.

5. Likes dsa2780, Kaban12, CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Closing the basin because of snagging/poaching would be like closing the I-5 because people speed. The answer is not to close it because of unwanted behavior...the answer is to patrol it and enforce the already sufficient regulations.
    I agree if they patrol it and give out heavy fined tickets people would think twice about snagging salmon and harvesting roe, and with all the money coming in they could hire more help Iv'e been fishing this river for over 35 yrs now and when i see a fish come in backwards and then keep it i put there ass on blast and yell out i know ure not keeping that fish and the look it get back and then i tell them there's like 6 cameras watching you rt now is that really worth it Iv'e had some change there mind and release the fish just lol FISH ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Likes CAL.NDN, Kaban12, CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gdr_11 View Post
    If they ever bring back The American Sportsman on tv, this could be an episode with one of the Gowdy offspring wading through the trash to get to the wall and share the experience with the local "sportsmen".
    after watching that video .I`d say Closing it, is for for good!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

this is how it is done..
    If they ever bring back The American Sportsman on tv, this could be an episode with one of the Gowdy offspring wading through the trash to get to the wall and share the experience with the local "sportsmen".

Post Thanks / Like

If that's what it takes to get rid of snaggers then so be it. They are a bunch of obnoxious unethical littering slobs. Condoning their actions under the terminal fisheries label is ludicrous. If people are worried tat these fish will just go to waste then have the state net them and give them to food banks. Rather see that done than have these snaggers make a mockery of our fishing regulations.
    Still real easy to floss with a 6 foot leader boss

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

11. Likes LURKER916, CAL.NDN, Mr.Fletcher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Ha! You nailed it - that's where it's headed. Can you imagine the look on the purist fly guy's faces when every dude that used to floss with a 10 ft leader is now flinging a Spey rod? Those fly dudes are gonna spit out their Cuban cigars and crap their $800 waders! Guess sink tips will be next on the chopping block. Then jigs. Then spoons. And so begins the slippery slope...

13. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

During the 40's and the 50's Dam builders were on a rampage to harness every bit of energy that nature provided. No one considered what impact all this building would have on fisheries. And frankly no one cared. It was called progress.. My dad who is way dead and gone now was an avid steelhead and salmon fisherman and in his lifetime watched all this happen. So just so that you know how it really use to be on the American River I will share this tidbit that he told me how and where they fished for salmon. Since the river basically flowed right through town and river access was minimal, he and my uncle use to travel up hwy. fifty which use to be almost a cow trail back then, and they stopped there where the turn off to ice house is now and fish that section of river. It was world class salmon and steelhead fishing, as good as if not better than fishing Alaska. That can never be replaced. Truth is we need Folsom dam now regardless of how severely it has changed nature. The problem, like everywhere else in this country is TOO MANY DAMN PEOPLE.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast