Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jogging on the Sacramento below Sac

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbead View Post
    I'd pay to see someone jog on the Sac.
    Lol! Yeah, sorry about that! I couldn’t find where one can edit the subject line after posting. Only the text.

Anyway, I took a buddy new to fishing out on Saturday. Left Discovery before day break and before the masses showed up for the Aftershock festival. Started jigging at the Sherwood marina. Had one strike that startled the crap out of me - didn’t get it to stick. After an hour or so we go down to Garcia Bend and try some more. This time, it was my buddy’s turn to get hit. I think he just about dropped his pole!🤣 the fight didn’t last by 5 seconds and the fish came undone. Nothing else for the rest of the morning.

A big shout-out to a couple of older fellows in a pontoon boat that offered to help! (See my other post for details...)

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gypsie; 10-23-2017 at 03:39 PM.

2. Likes Troutbead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jogging on the Sacramento below Sac

I'd pay to see someone jog on the Sac.

4. Likes Spinner, Gypsie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Read it differently..missed where it explained the gap and gear rigging, the word 'except' for The Sacramento/ San Joaquin Delta-2.10b....So...SOUTH of the hwy.80/50 bridge you can use treble hooks on jigs/spinners of any size...NORTH of the hwy.80/50 downtown says anything exceeding one ounce on a non-bouyant lure like a jig/spinner- 'single hook' only..up to a 1 inch gap--3/4 inch gap for treble...Sect. 1.71 describes the delta definition and boundary.
    Last edited by Mark1; 10-22-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Addiction View Post
    It's actually the opposite. SOUTH of 80/50 jigs with trebbles are fine. NORTH of that bridge its single hook.
    That's correct. I found out the hard way with a $400 ticket jigging between Disco and old Sacramento.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually the opposite. SOUTH of 80/50 jigs with trebbles are fine. NORTH of that bridge its single hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Just a quick look at the regs...Sect. 2.10b3 basically reads south of the Hwy.80/50 bridge downtown in (The Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta boundary-Sect 1.71..Downtown bridge north, 580 south, 99 east, 680 west)....."It's unlawful to use any multiple hook-(treble) or more than one single hook on non-buoy lures-(jig) exceeding one ounce"...2.10c1 says a single hook with a gap no greater than 1 inch..and no bigger than 3/4 inch on a treble.....So if your are fishing like Discovery Park/Verona or north of the 80 bridge, you can use a treble on a 3 oz laser minnow but NOT below the hwy. 80 bridge, only single hook on a jig/spinner one ounce or more. Barbed is fine anywhere on the Sac and in the American up to Ancil Hoffman park. But..I think a single hook size 4 or so may be better for hook up.

Wow, looks like you might be right.. I'm not a Salmon fisherman by any means, but I think most of the boaters are breaking that law.
    I watch boats quite often at Garcia's Bend and note the type of rigs they are using and many appear to be using jigs bigger that 2oz with trebles....
    Thanks for the info.
    Gulp..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsie View Post
    Need a little help with the regs, please! Is it legal to jig from a boat with 3oz laser minnows with a barbed treble hook attached to the bottom via split ring, ie the way they are sold?

Second question: even if the above is legal, would I be better off replacing the treble hook with a single hook?

Thanks for the advice! I don’t fish for salmon in the river much, but would love to try.

'Made a change'...Just a quick look at the regs...Sect. 2.10b3 basically reads 'north' of the Hwy.80/50 bridge downtown..."It's unlawful to use any multiple hook-(treble) on non-buoy lures-(jig/spinner) exceeding one ounce" only a single hook with a gap no greater than 1 inch..3/4 inch on a treble-Sect. 2.10c1.......So 'south' of the hwy. 80/50 downtown bridge starts the 'The Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta' boundary-Sect 1.71..defines it (hwy.80/50 bridge north, 580 south, 99 east, 680 west)...South of the hwy.80/50 bridge treble hooks are fine of any size lure......So if your are fishing Discovery Park/Verona or 'north' of the 80 bridge, you can only use a single hook on a 3 oz laser minnow (exceeding 1 oz) but below the hwy. 80 bridge, treble hooks on a jig/spinner of any size is fine. Barbed is fine anywhere on the Sac and in the American up to Ancil Hoffman park. I think a single hook size 4 or so may be better for hook up.
    Last edited by Mark1; 10-22-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

4/0 Gamagatsu Siwash Single hook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Yes and yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Thanks, QAR! Any suggestions on which hook and size to use instead of the treble?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast