Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trout question?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trout question?

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Waiting for the hatchery trucks to take them home???
    Make sure you keep the females and toss back the males, unless you have other proclivities..........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeandkristy View Post
    This was our actual conversation after I told him that trout do not grow up to be salmon.
    Him,
    Once they go to the ocean and return to spawn they are salmon. Where the hell you think salmon come from.
    If land locked lake then no..he won't become a salmon..but even if transplanted by government..the trout follows river to ocean..once he hits the ocean water he's considered a salmon..then 7 yrs old they return to place of birth to lay eggs..even if born and raised n a hatchery...they're releast down a chute..so come 7 yrs they will return back up same chute or stream of wzter to lay eggs again...hatchers remove eggs and sperm putting still good meat into ice till they're sold..stream spawning..the fish no longer eat and die within a couple weeks of spawning. Go visit any hatchery and they can explain...less that 10 0/0 actually return to spawn.

So why is he telling me to let lake Pardee trout go to turn into salmon in seven years? lol.
    I think he was pulling your leg. No other explanation for that response.....

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was our actual conversation after I told him that trout do not grow up to be salmon.
    Him,
    Once they go to the ocean and return to spawn they are salmon. Where the hell you think salmon come from.
    If land locked lake then no..he won't become a salmon..but even if transplanted by government..the trout follows river to ocean..once he hits the ocean water he's considered a salmon..then 7 yrs old they return to place of birth to lay eggs..even if born and raised n a hatchery...they're releast down a chute..so come 7 yrs they will return back up same chute or stream of wzter to lay eggs again...hatchers remove eggs and sperm putting still good meat into ice till they're sold..stream spawning..the fish no longer eat and die within a couple weeks of spawning. Go visit any hatchery and they can explain...less that 10 0/0 actually return to spawn.

So why is he telling me to let lake Pardee trout go to turn into salmon in seven years? lol.

Unfortunately, this guy didn't have to pass a test or background check to buy a keyboard.....

Then again, maybe it's better stupid people do identify themselves.... The old Bill Engvall joke fits.... "Here's your sign".....

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    There were "truths" into what the person said. It seems they just had the life cycle of a trout, steelhead and salmon all mixed up. Sounds like they need to visit a hatchery for clarity and to look at the cute little fishes.

Just don't know where the "7 years" comes from. If salmon stayed in the salt for 6 years and came into the rivers during that seventh, every fish would be over 40 with most in the 60-80lb range. You would have to use tuna gear to get them in, something that would be awesome to watch in Nimbus Basin
    7 years is the accepted average life span for trout.

7. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Him,

The problem I see, is that a lot of people in this state would sadly believe all that.

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Dislikes CRABBY disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There were "truths" into what the person said. It seems they just had the life cycle of a trout, steelhead and salmon all mixed up. Sounds like they need to visit a hatchery for clarity and to look at the cute little fishes.

Just don't know where the "7 years" comes from. If salmon stayed in the salt for 6 years and came into the rivers during that seventh, every fish would be over 40 with most in the 60-80lb range. You would have to use tuna gear to get them in, something that would be awesome to watch in Nimbus Basin
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 11-06-2017 at 09:58 AM.

SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbead View Post
    He's sort of right. Trout that make it to the ocean return 18 years later and return as mermaids. They can be found, or so i have been told, walking the streets of 'Frisco near the wharfs at night.
    Waiting for the hatchery trucks to take them home???

12. Likes Jetspray, mikeandkristy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he comes around again I would suggest he go to a local library and learn the dewey decimal system and do research, then keep his phone/computer at home when he does.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

14. Likes mikeandkristy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy is a nut job. I would terminate any and all contact with him. I would block him from from Facebook, email and whatever.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

16. Likes mikeandkristy, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Him,

18. Likes Jetspray, fishrman4life1957 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast