Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Delta Crappie

The Black Crappie bite in the delta is red hot right now. Check out my Youtube Channel- Famous Fishing California Delta and subscribe. You will see us catching Crappie live, 1-2 lb slabs in Bethel Island/Franks Tract area. We have fishing shows that are ALL located in the Cal Delta!!! We love Crappie! Check us out. We will give you locations, types of bait to use, depth, times etc... Better get some sleep, cause im going Crappie huntin in the mornin. Love yall and tight lines!

Yours Truly;
    Set Da Hook
    Last edited by famousfishing; 07-02-2019 at 11:12 PM.

2. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff213 View Post
    If you just want a few crappie, I know a spot you can catch them from the shore.. to really get into the schools though you need a boat at this spot too.... or you can illegally fish from the bridge.... don't think anyone gets fined but i know they get kicked off bridge when caught, but I don't fish from the bridge, just go under it with boat.
    And would you mind kindly sharing the #'s?🛰️

Post Thanks / Like

If you just want a few crappie, I know a spot you can catch them from the shore.. to really get into the schools though you need a boat at this spot too.... or you can illegally fish from the bridge.... don't think anyone gets fined but i know they get kicked off bridge when caught, but I don't fish from the bridge, just go under it with boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MVP View Post
    I have yet to catch my first Delta Crappie. Yes I know I know....avid fishermen for years and can't catch a crappie. I don't think there is any in there for shore fisherman.
    Never really caught anything from shore either, I do keep wondering if there's places to catch crappie and bass from shore. I may try to go searching someday when I have time.

Post Thanks / Like

I havne't caught one either. But it is something I could look forward to though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to catch my first Delta Crappie. Yes I know I know....avid fishermen for years and can't catch a crappie. I don't think there is any in there for shore fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Man I haven't gone for crappie or gills in over a decade. Thanks for the report. I think I'll check out my old spot by Holland and see if there's any action. If you don't mind PMing me a few general areas I can check out that'll be amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to give the report. Honestly, I don't see any reason we shouldn't have more detailed reports for bluegill, shellcracker, or crappie on the Delta. The place is loaded with all of them, and with the sprawling watershed and low percentage of people fishing for them, there's no need to be tightlipped. I get it, if it was a smaller lake, or even one of our reservoirs, people are reluctant to give too much info, but the Delta, there are crappie everywhere. Now getting them to eat can be a little tricky sometimes due to the tidal influence. Like many other predatory fish, they like to choose certain parts of the tide to feed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle46N View Post
    Just want to give a heads up to all you crappie fishermen on the Delta, or those who want to start. They've moved shallow. Not spawning yet, and judging by the size of their eggs sacks (after cleaning a bunch), they are still a few weeks away, but they are up shallow eating. Water temps have been mid 50's and they are okay with that. If you have a honey hole for Crappie on the Delta, look near the closest shallows, preferably with spawning structure...aka submerged vegetation, or wood. We hammered 30 in an hour and a half the other day in 5 feet of water. One of the best days I've had for crappie (size wise) in 25 years of crappie fishing. Only 2 fish were less than 12 inches. 5 were 14. Slabs is an understatement. The water we were fishing was a little stained, so we went with black and chartreuse jigs....specifically Southern Pro Hot grubs "chartreuse shad". Otherwise in clear water we go with shad colors, and our favorite is usually a Kalins curly tail color called Blue n' silver. This was all in the past week. We've actually been out looking for bass, and just hit up our crappie spots for an hour or two to fill the livewell. I will say, the few areas we've been catching them still have deep water nearby....as in 12 feet or better. With these fronts coming through, they need deep water to retreat when the temps drop.
    Great report! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Delta Crappie

Kyle46N
    Thank you so much for your post!!!!
    This forum category rarely sees new posts. Even though I have had way more salt water addictions than fresh water, for decades, just starting to get into crappie and bluegill in deltas with my kayak recently.
    Really appreciate your update and tips. Keep up the good work on the crappie board, please. I'll do the same once i get the kayak out there in the near Stockton areas. Thank you friend for sharing your intel and letting us know its just about that time for crappie in the deltas!!! From Mike G, aka halibutslayer.. By the way excellent details in your report also!!!
    Last edited by halibut4me; 03-27-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast