Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishfinder/GPS help--which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules100 View Post
    Hello: Capt Nemo

Get one of the Lakemaster chips for the west coast lakes/coast and you will be very happy, I have the 10 inch unit and can't imagine what else you would need. I will include a screen shot if I can figure out how to do it.

Good luck
    Hercules
    Thanks! I got the LakeMaster Plus SD card and will get out on Berryessa for a test run Monday. Thanks for the screen shot--my first real look will be on Monday. Hopefully, I'll be as lucky as you to net a nice trout like in your photo!

I'm curious if you have used the Humminbird PC software. I'm a fish biologist and a bit of a nerd, so like to plot fish marks through the year to see patterns over time. It was very revealing for kokanee in Lake Berryessa.

I'll post results of my trip in the lakes forum.

Thanks again,
    Capt Nemo

Post Thanks / Like

i've got a raymarine es98 and have been very happy with it. it can connect to my home network for software updates and my tablet can control it over its built in network.

navionics chip for sure. tried a garmin but they dont cover a few lakes i like to fish. maybe that'll change since they purchased navionics though.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: Capt Nemo

Get one of the Lakemaster chips for the west coast lakes/coast and you will be very happy, I have the 10 inch unit and can't imagine what else you would need. I will include a screen shot if I can figure out how to do it.

Good luck
    Hercules
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Guys.

I came home to a Humminbird Helix 9 SI GPS. Surprise, somebody loves me! I see that she spent about $1000, just the right price range.

Now to get it mounted and out on the water.

Hopefully it will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Navionics for charts. Garmin has their own and are not as good. Garmin did buy Navionics recently, so there may be something down the road for Garmin users. Raymarine Axiom w/lighthouse 3 update is worth looking into. No budget stated, so hard to point out a machine,,,gregg

6. Likes Capt Nemo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's your budget? I have been using Lowrance HDS-7 for 6 months and feel pretty good. A bit unfortunate when it is used in the USA.

8. Likes Capt Nemo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance or Garmin??

I lost my boat (and home, etc.) in the Santa Rosa firestorm.

I have replaced the boat and am looking at fishfinder/GPS combos.

I want maps of inland lakes and the Delta with 1' contours and want to be able to download my tracks to my PC.

Any advice on which is better for this, Lowrance or Garmin, is appreciated.

Also which map sets are best.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Capt Nemo; 04-11-2018 at 10:34 PM. Reason: No replies to last post. Hoping that rewording will help get some responses.