Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charger for trolling battery

Great info guys. The Noco unit has me intrigued. Curious what the charge times between the 8amp and 20amp are.

Post Thanks / Like

quently bought together

[COLOR=#555555 !important]Total price:
    [COLOR=#B12704 !important]$116.88[/COLOR]
    Add both to CartAdd both to List

Buy the selected items together

[/COLOR]

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cteiv View Post
    Not sure if this belongs in the motors section or electronics but Iíll start here since itís related to the battery.

i have a 45lb 12v motorcraft trolling motor with an Everlast marine battery. Iím looking into charging units and would love some input. It seems like onboard would be best but the portable units keep popping up on searches. Iím not so concerned about speed as it could charge over night. I get out on the boat about once every week or two but this is my first trolling motor so not exactly sure what to expect for charge life.

any suggestions on brand/models along with feedback is appreciated.
    Your battery is actually what's known as a dual purpose battery. It has some of the characteristics of a deep cycle and some of the characteristics of a starting battery. You can use an automotive charger to charge it and it won't damage it but it will consume a full charge cycle every time you use it. You have between 180 and 200 charge cycles with that battery. If you went with a quality 4 (flood, charge, float, maintain) stage charger, you would likely extend the life of your battery but there's no guarantee that will occur. I personally prefer the MinnKota chargers. I have one of their precision chargers that charge my 2 Group 31 Gel trolling motor batteries and then use a less expensive Battery Tender on my boats Deep Cycle/Starting batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, you want to make sure that the charger is capable of correctly charging your battery type(s). For example, I have the good 'ole deep-cycle marine lead acid for main motor and boat electronics. For the trolling motor I have 2 AGM batteries in series. The charging levels and patterns are different for the 2 types. I went with the minnkota 3-bank precision smart charger. It allows you to to the select the charge pattern to match the battery type. Batteries will last much longer if you charge and maintain them correctly. Plus, they're not cheap and I am. :-)
    Last edited by twack; 04-07-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: Any charger will charge the battery, however; if you want to get the best performance and life from your battery you should invest in a true deep cycle unit. They have several different stages,, example: They will "bulk" charge, then do a high frequency cycle, then top off the battery with a maintainer charge. I'm not sure if I have the sequence correct, but you get the picture. MinnKota makes good units, Cabelas also have these types of the units under their name. I have a on board 4 bank 15amp per bank (4 - group 31 batteries) in my boat and can stay on the water all day with my 80# I-Pilot and the charger will have the battery's ready to go in the morning, I use the electric motor for trolling just because I like the piece and quite, not the put-put-put and fumes of a engine. For what its worth. Good Luck
    Hercules

Post Thanks / Like

Got mine installed from Amazon, quick delivery and many to choose from.
    Got mine installed and charges 2 batterys, leave it on all the time, also installed male plug into transon area inside boat to plug in extension cord. It has a cover cap to keep water out.
    many options, 3 battery or more. I believe mine is 8 amp per battery, red led when charging and green when charged and blinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Charger for trolling battery

Not sure if this belongs in the motors section or electronics but Iíll start here since itís related to the battery.

i have a 45lb 12v motorcraft trolling motor with an Everlast marine battery. Iím looking into charging units and would love some input. It seems like onboard would be best but the portable units keep popping up on searches. Iím not so concerned about speed as it could charge over night. I get out on the boat about once every week or two but this is my first trolling motor so not exactly sure what to expect for charge life.

any suggestions on brand/models along with feedback is appreciated.