Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sliding snell knots

I used a knot tying tool to make the rigs for halibut fishingWith my son. With that you can adjust the space between the lead hook and the tail hook for the size of your bait.Be safe

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Sliding snell knots

Quote Originally Posted by Taiki View Post
    Waxed dentail floss /// must be waxed. Been working for the the last 50/ maybe 60 years.
    You are not the first guy who I heard liked to do that, floss has gotten stronger over the years too. It is fairly easy to cut but in that application many have used it in the past......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinb View Post
    OMG same! I prefer mono as well cuz that what my father taught me and I have been using that ever since.

Waxed dentail floss /// must be waxed. Been working for the the last 50/ maybe 60 years.

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperStopper View Post
    I prefer mono. You can cinch it down pretty tight so it holds its place, but it will still slide smoothly without warping the main leader.
    OMG same! I prefer mono as well cuz that what my father taught me and I have been using that ever since.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer mono. You can cinch it down pretty tight so it holds its place, but it will still slide smoothly without warping the main leader.

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use braid for the snell on my sliding snell rigs. using the ink tube from a ballpoint pen makes it fast, easy and strong.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mono or dacron for the slider, braid can get too tight

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

12. Likes Bret1972, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use mono 15-20 lb and 40 lb leader (mono also).Last couple trips I have been tying up 6 Extras and I have been using snap swivels on them to quickly change out.Its another connection to fail but helps out in a hot bite to get fishing again.IDK about braid maybe Nayr has tried it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Bret1972, Jetspray liked this post
    Dislikes Bret1972 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sliding snell knots

Ive always hard tied my double hook rigs for halibut. Im thinking of doing a sliding snell on the front hook instead. I get how to do it, but I see some people suggest braid for the line used to Snell the sliding Hook while others use mono. The leader will be 30 pound mono. What do you folks who use a front sliding snell use to snell onto the leader.

My setup is 30lb mono with a 1/0 hook snelled in front and a 1/0 treble tied on the bottom with a palomar knot.
    Its better to be fishing and thinking about God then to be in church thinking about fishing.

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post