Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to go with son?

thanks for the response

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it is 1 rod in the barbless section. I would double check the reg book to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by comcastic View Post
    Hey can you tell me if it’s a one rod restriction on the American river? I couldn’t find it in the regulation, I will be targeting Shad from a boat. Was thinking about sun rise area
    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comcastic View Post
    Hey can you tell me if it’s a one rod restriction on the American river? I couldn’t find it in the regulation, I will be targeting Shad from a boat. Was thinking about sun rise area
    2.00. Fishing Methods–General.

(a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two rods in inland waters which regulations provide for the taking of fish by angling, except those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special regulations for exceptions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hey bboggs....did you get your kid into any shad yesterday?

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the river flows I usually use about 1/4 oz barrel weight above a swivel to keep the jig down. If the river is fast and high you might need to add a little more weight. Then 2-3’ leader and whatever jig you want. Last year smaller was better. I was using small curly q type plastic jigs in pink, orange, and chartreuse. Maybe 3/4 - 1” plastic jigs with a size 8 or 6 bait hook to hold the jigs on. Pretty much the same setup I use from shore. Go to Fisherman’s Wharehouse on Folsom Blvd and they will hook you up.

Just remember anyplace above Ansil Hoffman Park is barbless to crimp down the barb on the hook. I have never been checked while Shad fishing for barbless hooks but that doesn’t mean they won’t come look and it is an expensive ticket if you get caught.

when you are fishing I usually just toss the line out about 30’ and let the current do the work. In my experience you want enough weight to sort of tap the bottom so let out enough line. Last year the sweet spot on the bridge was about a 1/3 of the way down from the north side of the bridge but when the fish are there any place on the bridge can be productive....good luck and have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish-on View Post
    If you want to keep your 4 year old out of the river the footbridge at Sunrise can be fun but can get crowded. After 5:30’ish it starts to get crowded but if you get there earlier you can usually pick your spot but the bite doesn’t get fast until 6:30-8 most of the time but I have had success there in mid afternoon too. Just can get a little tricky walking the fish down to the bank to land it.

as mentioned a PFD for your son is a really good idea if you are going to fish the rivers edge or wading into the water a little. I would probably keep my 4 year old out of the water as much as possible because the river can flow pretty quick these days
    Thanks! I think we will try the bridge to keep him out of the water. I’ve only shad fished from the shore.. how would I do that from the bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to keep your 4 year old out of the river the footbridge at Sunrise can be fun but can get crowded. After 5:30’ish it starts to get crowded but if you get there earlier you can usually pick your spot but the bite doesn’t get fast until 6:30-8 most of the time but I have had success there in mid afternoon too. Just can get a little tricky walking the fish down to the bank to land it.

as mentioned a PFD for your son is a really good idea if you are going to fish the rivers edge or wading into the water a little. I would probably keep my 4 year old out of the water as much as possible because the river can flow pretty quick these days

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macfish View Post
    Sunrise, Rossmore, Harringtons, Grist mill, Riverbend, Ancil Hoffmans, Paradise. PDF for your son. Have fun.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Where to go with son?

I’m going to take my son, 4, Shad fishing this Friday on the American.

Are there any areas I can go where we don’t need waders..?