Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minn Doka 80 Ulterra

Yes my bad. I was thinking since it’s connected to 3 batteries total it is a 3 bank. That’s what I get for thinking. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish-on! View Post
    I have the 80 Ulterra also with 2 group 31s. I invested in the Minn Kota DC 3 bank charger that runs off the 40amp alternator on my Honda 150. Best charger IMO so you don’t drain the troll motor batteries down too far. If they start getting discharged run the 150 for a bit and they get charged right back up. Never had the batteries go too low. The charger alternates between house and troll motors charging the lowest one first. Any boat that has troll motor batteries should have one.
    Just curious, why are you using the 3 bank charger for the 2 group 31's? In looking at the minnkota install instructions, you'd just need the 2 bank charger. I looking to install the onboard DC charger myself.

Capture.JPG

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish-on! View Post
    I have the 80 Ulterra also with 2 group 31s. I invested in the Minn Kota DC 3 bank charger that runs off the 40amp alternator on my Honda 150. Best charger IMO so you don’t drain the troll motor batteries down too far. If they start getting discharged run the 150 for a bit and they get charged right back up. Never had the batteries go too low. The charger alternates between house and troll motors charging the lowest one first. Any boat that has troll motor batteries should have one.
    I have Gel batteries so it's not an option for me since the Charge Profile is wrong and would destroy my batteries. I do have a 2 bank Minn Kota charger for them that has the correct charge profile for Gel's but it's 110v only. Sterling does make a charger that can do the Gels and can get it's current from the main or kicker but I just haven't bought one yet. I had one in my Class B Van conversion and it worked beautifully.

4. Likes fish-on! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

I run the 80 Ultera on my 22' North River. It tops out at 2mph which works for me because I also have a kicker. I use it for slow trolls and sometimes to steer or keep the boat on track if the wind kicks up. I run 2 Group 31 12v Gel batteries and I get about 5 hours before I hit 50 percent discharge. You have to be mindful of your batteries if they are separate from you starting batteries because if you drain them all the way down you cant retrieve the motor without breaking it. There is a procedure for that in the manual and you have to send it in for repair if you are forced to do it. I have a set of jumpers just in case I blow it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same unit on my 18ft D.S. and it works well for me and I only have two 12 vt batteries. If you fish alot with only that motor You should see if you could put 4 6vt golf cart batteries in the boat That you give you more motor time. I don't think a 100 lb trolling motor is that much more in price over the 80lb something else to think about

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Doka 80 Ulterra

Does anyone have experience with this model trolling motor? I have 18’ Alumaweld. Would this trolling motor pull the boat upstream on the Sac or Feather? My old minn doka (I think the thrust is 45 or 55) will almost keep it stationary in the river with about 10,000 cfs flow. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk