Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Bluegill Fishing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gdr_11 View Post
    I always loved fishing for bluegills and it was always a thrill when I ran into a school of jumbo gills that averaged 9" and above. Unfortunately, big bluegills are hard to find because they generally are deeper than most panfish and catching them is more akin to bass fishing than panfishing. The best spot I ever found for jumbo bluegills was Bullards Bar lake; the combination of a lot of flooded trees and steep dropoffs close to shore seemed to create a good environment for them. I caught a lot of 11" and 12" fish about 20' off shore fishing small 1/8 oz. spoons and #1 and #2 mepps spinners on 4 lb test line. The key was to cast or slow troll where the water was about 20 ft deep and to be near the bottom. There is nothing more exciting than fishing ultralite and battling a dinner plate sized gill! I am not sure if those fish are still there, but I would venture to say that not very many people ever fished for them so I am sure they are still available if anyone wants to find them.
    Never fiwhed that area ny self but I just might take you up on that offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I always loved fishing for bluegills and it was always a thrill when I ran into a school of jumbo gills that averaged 9" and above. Unfortunately, big bluegills are hard to find because they generally are deeper than most panfish and catching them is more akin to bass fishing than panfishing. The best spot I ever found for jumbo bluegills was Bullards Bar lake; the combination of a lot of flooded trees and steep dropoffs close to shore seemed to create a good environment for them. I caught a lot of 11" and 12" fish about 20' off shore fishing small 1/8 oz. spoons and #1 and #2 mepps spinners on 4 lb test line. The key was to cast or slow troll where the water was about 20 ft deep and to be near the bottom. There is nothing more exciting than fishing ultralite and battling a dinner plate sized gill! I am not sure if those fish are still there, but I would venture to say that not very many people ever fished for them so I am sure they are still available if anyone wants to find them.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember as a kid going to French Corral north of Grass Valley with my parents in what I think was in a small lake, we would catch a wash basket full and my dad would spend hours cleaning them. Then he would have his parents and brother's family over for a fish fry, almost all would be gone at dinners end GOOD TIMES!!! miss those times still my favorite fish to catch, when I go to the delta with my son always have the panfish pole rigged and ready to rock n roll
    Last edited by dennis l; 04-05-2019 at 04:32 PM.

4. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff213 View Post
    There are tons of shellcrackers also known as redear sunfish in the delta. You just have to find them.

Finding them goes along with any species of fish then when you do, it's "Fish On!"
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

There are tons of shellcrackers also known as redear sunfish in the delta. You just have to find them.

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegill make for some fine tacos. I prefer the larger crappie but will keep a few gills or redears to mix things up a bit. Last spring I pulled two 12 inch+ and a 13 inch here in Northern Ca. which was definitely my pb. I guess in my local lake they run long and looked oddly not yet fully grown (though I doubt they could have gotten much larger) I fished lake George in Florida with in 2 weeks of that and we were catching Shellcrackers (look just like bluegill that got left in the sun too long) that probably weighed the same but were more of the traditional round shape, shorter, big shoulders with the bumps on their foreheads. Not sure why they are so different, but I'd love to hear some feedback. Traditionally I would not have harvested such a fish, but this one gut hooked pretty deep. This is ironic since I have switched fully to circle hooks to avoid just that. Nothing is perfect but I already plan to try crushing down the barbs and seeing what that works like. In the fishery where I took these, I would venture to guess an 8-9 inch gill is probably ideal if you wish to harvest a few and keep the larger genetics dominating the spawn pool.
    20180611_150417.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radoncraft View Post
    .... In those days we would use a bamboo poles or tree branches. We would tie on some light line...
    Ah, those were the days I remember well .

A couple of years ago, I had my great grandson fish off the pontoon for Bluegills and had a kick watching him.

23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

9. Likes CDK, Stickman, radoncraft, dennis l liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: A Bluegill Fishing Thread

Nice story, it brings me back to my childhood memories. My Dad started me out on bank fishing in the delta , back in the early 50's. ,,But my real fun started , when we moved to Sac around 1954. We lived near Southside Park, as kids we lived in that Park, and fished all the time. Perch, Bluegill, crappie and bass we're the main stay, but perch was king. Once in a while we would get lucky and get a good bass. Sometimes they would break our lines because we had no reels. In those days we would use a bamboo poles or tree branches. We would tie on some light line like 4lb test and use a tullie for the bobber. We caught tons of fish, catch and release.
    Even today my striper fishing is done with lighter equipment in order to make it more fun.

Thanks for your report.

11. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I learned hpw to flyfish on bluegills

Post Thanks / Like

I love to fish them sunfish. Heck everybody i know that fishes started from fishing them. Easy to catch and can be found pretty much in every lake.
    dont take life to serious, let go and smile to see what your missing out on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast