Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Traeger BBQ/smoker question

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Was not a try tip fan. My SIL made one on a Traeger on the low smoke setting. It was fantastic. Tender!
    Will be getting one. I have always said that the gas grills are just using your stove outside. (No offense to anyone intended).
    I use cast iron boxes on my gas grill when I use it. They work great to add the smoke flavor, you only need to add moisture to the chips before you put the boxes in. I have also used chips in folded aluminum foil with holes in it to add smoke in...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Was not a try tip fan. My SIL made one on a Traeger on the low smoke setting. It was fantastic. Tender!
    Will be getting one. I have always said that the gas grills are just using your stove outside. (No offense to anyone intended).
    Fungaiolo/Cacciatore/Pescatore

-Lou (Louis)

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my 4th smoker that I have had over the years. The other one's went to family members and they use them. I have a bunch of smoking chips along with the pellets. You can get pellets most anywhere in any wood or flavor. My Traeger does not have the dump hopper so I modified a attachment that I use in conjunction with my wet/dry vac to suck the pellets into a plastic bag I line inside the vac. Newer models have a side hopper but this works for me, you just need to purchase some good plastic hose at a hardware and duct tape it to a funnel nozzle......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Traeger tailgater for about 2 years now, for what it is intended for it is great. That is smoking, low/slow cooking (below 500 degrees). If you like cooking a 2 in steak on each side for 30 secs (high temp grill) this is not for you. My Traeger will only get up 575, I am not sure if the bigger ones will go higher. It will also have a hard time keep a temp if its cold/wind out side.
    As for smoking, I love the salmon that I did last year. Mine has a smoking setting so it will kick out a lot of smoke. As others have said Traeger has several different pellets. the last bag I got was blend of different woods so they have very little flavor.
    BTW: if you buy 4 bags of pellets at home depot they will knock off $2 a bag.
    I'll second the meat thermometer, it saved a lot of meat for me.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have a Traeger and it is pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Traeger BBQ/smoker question

Ed I use a cheapo black and decker chopper I bought from walmart a few years ago. I can turn bagged wood chips into dust chop which you can mix in with the pellets to add flavors of woods. Put a aluminum pan in front of the opening from the blower to divert the air flow a little and add water or aeromatics in it so it will boil. I lined the edges of the door with a heat tape (felt looking) to hold in the smoke and heat a little too. Set to smoke for a good bit of time before you set the heat, make sure the meat you are going to smoke is in there whle you do that. I put mine in a aluminum throw away pan. I use only dry rubs on meats, I put the rub on the meat and use a tenderizer poker to work the rub in the meat, then vacuum seal it in a bag in the fridge before I put that in the pan and start the process. Vacuum sealing puts the flavor in the meat and the drippings of the process can be rinsed into the pan that you start smoking with. I also believe in remote sensors used to keep an eye on the internal temp of both the meat and the unit. Shocking how this all works even with ribs.......Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

The Traeger is at it's best with slow heat with.................
    ribs and large sections of meat, done slow and with low heat, to keep the meat moist.

It is not the best for HIGH heat and GRILL marks but it comes close, being indirect heat.............

Light to heavy smoke is done by the type of pellets used and the companies that make them.
    I got a heavy smoke from my smoker that used wood chips, but the pellet smoker has a lighter
    smoke flavor but it can put out a heavy flavor with a LONG cook time.

Note that Beef usually calls for fast and hot with heavy smoke flavor while poultry or fish will call
    for a lighter smoke flavor to not over take its taste and flavor.

Large beef sections need a 200 degree plus internal meat temperature to break it down while
    salmon might get away with 135 degrees with a long smoke to meet safety requirements.

Hickory is the old stand by for 80% of the meats with Alder or Apple for fish and a light flavor.

I posted lots of pictures on another site of salmon, ribs, chicken, London Broil, pork loin etc.....
    Getting the meat to the safe internal temp is #1............
    Be it a unit meat probe or a GOOD instamatic probe, you need to get it right to be safe.

More BBQ sauce......... !!

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EricJason View Post
    How can I pick out the best product from those listed on this site?
    It mostly depends on how much you would use it and for what. The Traeger keeps a constant flow of air going and the auger only adds pellets to the fire box to get the temperature in range. I use a separate thermometer to keep an eye on the internal temp of the meat. Traeger sells models that have that now along with apps for your phone. The only other consideration might be the cost initially...….Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

How can I pick out the best product from those listed on this site?

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Traeger grill which I use when I go camping. It is pretty good. I have had it for around 1 and a half year now and no issues until now.
    As for the size, I cook around 5 burgers with no issue. Traeger are known to be a bit more expensive than the other competitors but I think their build quality is amazing.
    Last edited by Kendrick69; 04-13-2019 at 11:05 AM.

15. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast