Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Traeger BBQ/smoker question

Quote Originally Posted by BDuck View Post
    I tried adding ground up wood chips myself but my success was nil. My neighbor bought a Traeger and ended up returning it within a month as it got all gummed up in the auger. You can't let the pellets get wet and sit to dry out which is what I suspected with 5 little toddlers playing around it.
    I do not leave any pellets stay in the hopper, I use a plastic hose hooked to a yard vac with a plastic bag in it to withdraw any leftovers. Plastic ziploc's work best for storage as the bags have no closure stuff, I have to use other things to do that. The auger will gum up if you do not vacuum up the ash at the end of the auger, a little applied high temp lube (very little) keeps it from sticking. Pellets have a condensed amount of sap accumulates due to the pellets being extruded. The cheaper pellets have more of that and more moisture in them. If you put some on a aluminum pan which is weighed, then put the pellets in, dehydrate them a little in a convection oven without igniting them the difference in weight is the % of moisture. Just keeping the heater pot empty is a big deal with the Traeger…….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    I was able to use a cheapo blender/chopper I got from Walmart and grind down some of the chips I had from previous smokers, mix it in with the pellets and run it through the Traeger. It does bump up the smoke a little for flavor. ...….Jetspray
    I tried adding ground up wood chips myself but my success was nil. My neighbor bought a Traeger and ended up returning it within a month as it got all gummed up in the auger. You can't let the pellets get wet and sit to dry out which is what I suspected with 5 little toddlers playing around it.
    2000 F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Traeger BBQ/smoker question

Quote Originally Posted by BDuck View Post
    I have a first generation Traeger Grill which the settings were off/low/med/high been using for 10yrs now. There was no real control of the heat source but it got me thru. Since, I purchased a digital control panel with 2 probes which heat control had greatly improved. I view the Traeger as an oven with indirect heat that allows you not to watch over it unlike an offset stick burner I also have. It doesn't have the flavor of real smoke but some is better than none, as stated the heavier smoke concentration is on the low setting. The Traeger is ok when laziness or a good ball game takes over but I prefer the classic wood burner with meats that have a good rub & a descent BBQ sauce that caramelizes.
    I was able to use a cheapo blender/chopper I got from Walmart and grind down some of the chips I had from previous smokers, mix it in with the pellets and run it through the Traeger. It does bump up the smoke a little for flavor. To me the Traeger is a elaborate hair dryer, much like the convection stuff we have around the house like a convection oven, toaster oven, air fryer oven, or anything else that has a fan in it. You need to get some moisture in the stream to keep things moist. I can also turn the knob to smoke if it is not getting enough for a few minutes...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I have a first generation Traeger Grill which the settings were off/low/med/high been using for 10yrs now. There was no real control of the heat source but it got me thru. Since, I purchased a digital control panel with 2 probes which heat control had greatly improved. I view the Traeger as an oven with indirect heat that allows you not to watch over it unlike an offset stick burner I also have. It doesn't have the flavor of real smoke but some is better than none, as stated the heavier smoke concentration is on the low setting. The Traeger is ok when laziness or a good ball game takes over but I prefer the classic wood burner with meats that have a good rub & a descent BBQ sauce that caramelizes.
    2000 F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got myself a new grill https://mcdonaldpaper.com/waring-wpg...nini-grill-nsf a couple of days ago, great for vegetables and panini; in fact you can cook any snack you want. Great addition for our food service collection and very easy to clean. And the price is under 700$, which is great for such versatility

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Was not a try tip fan. My SIL made one on a Traeger on the low smoke setting. It was fantastic. Tender!
    Will be getting one. I have always said that the gas grills are just using your stove outside. (No offense to anyone intended).
    I use cast iron boxes on my gas grill when I use it. They work great to add the smoke flavor, you only need to add moisture to the chips before you put the boxes in. I have also used chips in folded aluminum foil with holes in it to add smoke in...…..Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

Was not a try tip fan. My SIL made one on a Traeger on the low smoke setting. It was fantastic. Tender!
    Will be getting one. I have always said that the gas grills are just using your stove outside. (No offense to anyone intended).
    Fungaiolo/Cacciatore/Pescatore

-Lou (Louis)

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my 4th smoker that I have had over the years. The other one's went to family members and they use them. I have a bunch of smoking chips along with the pellets. You can get pellets most anywhere in any wood or flavor. My Traeger does not have the dump hopper so I modified a attachment that I use in conjunction with my wet/dry vac to suck the pellets into a plastic bag I line inside the vac. Newer models have a side hopper but this works for me, you just need to purchase some good plastic hose at a hardware and duct tape it to a funnel nozzle......Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Traeger tailgater for about 2 years now, for what it is intended for it is great. That is smoking, low/slow cooking (below 500 degrees). If you like cooking a 2 in steak on each side for 30 secs (high temp grill) this is not for you. My Traeger will only get up 575, I am not sure if the bigger ones will go higher. It will also have a hard time keep a temp if its cold/wind out side.
    As for smoking, I love the salmon that I did last year. Mine has a smoking setting so it will kick out a lot of smoke. As others have said Traeger has several different pellets. the last bag I got was blend of different woods so they have very little flavor.
    BTW: if you buy 4 bags of pellets at home depot they will knock off $2 a bag.
    I'll second the meat thermometer, it saved a lot of meat for me.

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have a Traeger and it is pretty good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast