Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Salmon trolling sinker release commentary and question

Buy some concrete forming rods that are thick, cut them in sections and at the weight you want to have, put wire through the holes in a loop. Cheaper that lead, besides the one's I used to buy were iron not lead...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

2. Likes dennis l liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered if there was a way to recover those mountains of lead.

Post Thanks / Like

meat stick it,,, wire line rod big ass reel with huge crank handle,,, 4lb ball,,, hand line with rubber snubber... you can legally run 2 baits off it... put that sucker in rail holder and get after it old school style..
    if you fish for trout you will catch trout!! if you fish for steelhead you might catch steelhead!!

5. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone who has grown up here and now spends a lot of time on the water, there is nothing that grinds my gears more than the lead mountains the salmon trollers are creating. Most people who have any regard for fishing, the fish, and the environment figure out a different tactic.

Some people have used divers, down riggers, and others just use heavy weight. I've used trolling weights and lead line when I've gone. Only once did I ever leave those lead weights on the bottom, and that was on a party boat. Never ever again. It makes you sick.
    18.5" Larson I/O 4.3L Volvo Penta
    Fishing in The Bay, any NorCal lake or river, or Pyramid Lake NV

7. Likes PamelaSmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SacValleyFisherman View Post
    I have used the deep six diver for Salmon fishing in the ocean. Your depth is apx. 1/3 of the amount of line you put out. 50ft down with 150 feet of line out. They work good and I have caught fish using them.. The only problem would be your position on the boat and how much line you can deploy. I used one out the back of my friends boat with no problem. And its helpful to have a line counter on your reel.
    can’t use that on a party boat.

9. Likes PamelaSmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaKeys View Post
    Posted on members section, also...

=====
    Lead weights are expensive: $7.00 for a 2.5 lb ball. (Fishermen's Warehouse and the boat prices)

I just recently went salmon fishing out of San Francisco on a party boat. There were 18 people fishing and 31 salmon caught. The VAST majority were 20" - 25". The shakers were released -- The largest fish was estimated to weigh 5-7 lbs. There were three of them.
    To the point: I lost 7 sinkers to very small fish. I was using the standard copper tube spring sinker release. I have no problem losing a sinker to a 10lb fish. It chaffs me having a $7.00 sinker lost to a shaker.

Question: Are there alternatives or modifications or other products with a tension adjustment? In the dark ages when lead was far cheaper in a relative sense, who cared? Any comments???? Suggestions???

Thanks
    Those copper sinker releases have two different tension bar settings inside. Sounds like you you were using the short one. Pull the bottom of the release and twist it 180 degrees to expose the longer release catch. A shaker won’t pull hard enough to release your weight.

11. Likes PamelaSmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sawhorseray View Post
    ... When the party boys charge $120- $150 for the ride, then say $10 a ball, and of course there needs to be a little something for the decky, forget it! RAY
    Man I feel you.
    I was invited to a "free" trip on a charter boat but reluctantly went recently but after 3 hr drive each way thru rush hr traffic, fuel, bridge tolls, 5 balls lost to shakers with no keeper, 3 deck hand tips...It sure was an expensive free fishing trip.

I'll pass on any future charter boat invites and just fish off my own boat.
    Last edited by Seon; 08-24-2018 at 08:51 PM.

13. Likes redneckpunk, dennis l liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used the deep six diver for Salmon fishing in the ocean. Your depth is apx. 1/3 of the amount of line you put out. 50ft down with 150 feet of line out. They work good and I have caught fish using them.. The only problem would be your position on the boat and how much line you can deploy. I used one out the back of my friends boat with no problem. And its helpful to have a line counter on your reel.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen talk positive about these for getting down to depth. They come in different sizes for different depths. They have a release so when the fish hooks up you aren't fighting the diver (as much).

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/luhr...deep-six-diver

Post Thanks / Like

I went out of HMB a month or so back, the price was $9 a ball. I've heard that on the NSA out of Bodega the price was $12 a ball, which can add up to a very expensive day for just a couple of runts. I don't take my 16' Talon out on the big pond, it's just too small for me to feel comfortable. Now I go with friends who've got sea-worthy craft and fish off of DR's. When the party boys charge $120- $150 for the ride, then say $10 a ball, and of course there needs to be a little something for the decky, forget it! RAY
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”

17. Likes SteelyMan liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast