Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Walker & Leavitt Meadows

Good job getting that nice Cutt!

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very pretty Cutty. Glad you enjoyed the day.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Had a really nice day today driving up to the Sierra's. Left at 4am to make the 4 hour drive. Hiked in a few miles to hit some small lakes and only had a few bites. wind was up today and maybe that was affecting the bite, but didn't land a single thing.

Decided to give one small lake a go before I made the trek back to the car. Gave myself 3 casts and on the third cast I hit another submerged tree as they're all over these lakes. I started tugging and the log wouldn't move and I finally pulled REALLY hard and the log budged....as I started to reel in it still felt like a log, right until it got to the surface and then I realized it was a white log....but logs aren't white, that's when this fish took off. Finally landed it, kept it in the shallows, got my photo and released it. So so happy! I ended up getting my last fish of the summer. My goal this summer (or at least by the end of fall) was to get a Rainbow, Brook, Brown, Golden and LCT and I got em all!

I fished the West Walker today as well, off of 108 and didn't have much luck. Water is getting pretty shallow in some area's, but brooks and rainbows were swimming around. Saw a few other people fishing, but no luck for them either. weather is getting colder, one of the campers I ran in to said it got down to 28F two nights ago, so I feel like the fishing may slow down soon if it keeps up. Fresh snow still on the mountains as well from last week.

Thank you to everyone for the great advice this past summer and on this thread, so happy to be part of this community!

LCT.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help everyone, hoping for a good outing. I think this will be it for me for awhile (opening a business) so hopefully this last trip is a good one. Tight lines to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes Jetspray, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roosevelt and Lane Lakes have Brookies and Cutts.

Your best success at both lakes is to fish from shore on the opposite side of the hiking trail.

I've used red/white stripped spoons with good success, when the sun is not on the water.

Good Luck.

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Looking to head up to Leavitt Meadows to do some hiking around for my last trip of the year (most likely). Never fished these spots before, but was wondering if the West Walker is worth it around here as well? I dunno if there's any lakes up here for cutts, but i'll take any advice anyone is worth giving

Any other spots around worth mentioning? Just seen a lot of postings about the West Walker, but not sure if this is the place.

Thanks for the help.
    There hasn't been much stocking on the West Walker this year. California is stocking the West Walker the next 2 weeks. Poore Lake above Levitt Meadow has LCT. You gotta walk a bit. Fish below Senora Bridge or the 395 bridge over the river at the top of the canyon.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

8. Likes MKE, yell0wshirt, PMR#9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

West Walker & Leavitt Meadows

Looking to head up to Leavitt Meadows to do some hiking around for my last trip of the year (most likely). Never fished these spots before, but was wondering if the West Walker is worth it around here as well? I dunno if there's any lakes up here for cutts, but i'll take any advice anyone is worth giving

Any other spots around worth mentioning? Just seen a lot of postings about the West Walker, but not sure if this is the place.

Thanks for the help.